The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a new horse that was in a large stall for a two week quarantine and has now been out in a paddock with other horses for a week. I'm wondering how long of an adjustment period would he need to settle in or to say for sure he is unhappy? He seemed to go from curious and outgoing to disinterested and mopey since going to the paddock. He is currently in the "butthead" paddock, so maybe getting picked on too much, I tend to see him standing by himself. Lots of changes going on as he settles in I'm sure but I want to know how long to give it until I say something to request he be moved to a different paddock.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
One week introduced to a new herd he is just beginning to find his place...
He is going to be alone as the herd will need to shift dynamics of placements again with a new addition.
As long as he is not coming in nightly with serious bite marks and sore from being run or kicked...adjustment period needs done and every time you move him to a different herd he will be challenged and harassed to see just what he will put up with...picked on before he fights back.
Moving him to soon and he starts all over again needlessly.
I too would give it another wee - 10 days and see where he is.
Some horses contrary to what everyone says are not "groupies" and do enjoy solitary time...something to watch and see what happens.
:runninghorse2:....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.