The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’ve recently started working with one of my horses on a Pelham bit. I’ve been borrowing someone else’s bit and bridle, but I’ve just bought myself a bit. I’m just wondering if anyone knows anywhere that sells nice quality but not too expensive curb and bradoon reins? Or if i bought a double bridle, would I be able to take the curb cheekpeice off so I can get the reins as well as a bridle just for my Pelham bit instead of switching it around with my normal snaffle?
Thanks, help would be appreciated😄

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
You should be able to switch the double out so that it works for your pelham, and that's what I'd try. Double reins are a hassle, unless you have real nice leather that's made for them. Cheap reins may interfere with your riding.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
True reins that are made for a Pelham bridle will have the bottom rein, the one that works the curb, the leverage rein, is sewn closed rein, no buckle. My Pelham reins are 3/8" & 1/2" wide.
The top rein, snaffle rein it is called, is wider and has a buckle to allow a running martingale to be used if needed.
Neither rein is laced, plaited or any rubber...just plain leather you hold in your fingers with a softly closed hand.
You can find "sets" of reins on many websites in many price ranges from inexpensive to really expensive.
As with anything, quality of leather used and how thick or thin and what your preference is must be taken into consideration when you ride with double-reins.

As for a headstall....it is just a regular headstall you use since you are only using one bit.
If you purchase a bridle, then you only need to purchase 1 narrower rein to match the set...stay in brand and color shade and a perfect set could appear at not much cost...

Schneiders tack, Dover Saddlery, and Stateline Tack have nice appearing reins that could fit your needs..

Remember if you find a rein you like for that bottom rein you can always have the buckle removed and the 2 pieces sewn together as one....
A extra long rein to allow shortening and stitch overlap edges is easy enough to find too.
Most people though can work with normal length horse sized reins..
🐴 ...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You can't take the curb cheeks off a double - they're attached to the headpiece. But you just remove the sliphead which the bradoon (snaffle) hangs from and that leaves you with a standard bridle, basically.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone for your help! I think I will have a look at some double bridles because some are on sale and the bridle itself costs as much as the reins😂

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have bought a bunch of nice quality used tack for cheap from multiple online and local consignment shops, as well as eBay. The only thing I would caution is to stick with reputable name brands, as it's hard to tell exactly what leather quality you're getting without feeling it in person. Most tack stamped "Made in England" will be of good quality as well.

If you're going for new, I think Ovation, Harmohn Kraft (makers of the Americana and Aramas lines, and used to make several of Dover and SmartPak's bridles), and Exselle (made by the same manufacturer as the older Crosby stuff) all make a nice quality product for a reasonable price. I have some older Collegiate stuff that is nice as well, though I can't say for sure what the quality is like now.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the bradoon hanger off of a double bridle and just use that either, though. But, if price is an issue, I think it's better to spend your money on a nicer pair of curb reins than on a cheaper quality bridle. Better quality leather is safer, easier and more comfortable for you to handle (as well as more comfortable for the horse in the case of a bridle), and lasts longer.

In fact, I've just found a pair of Ovation curb reins for under $30 and a pair of Exselle ones for under $40, both brand new. I don't think linking them is allowed here, but I found them both by simply searching "Ovation curb reins" and "Exselle curb reins".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts