The Horse Forum banner

New Rescue Mare

803 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  walkinthewalk
Things went differently than expected today. My grandma has been somewhat on the hunt for a new horse to put in with her pony to keep him company. We weren't able to find anything decent for a while, but recently, I saw a lady I know post on FB that she was giving away her mare for free to an approved home. So I got in touch with her, then told my grandma about the mare, and two hours later, we went to see the mare, and then only 30 mins after that, my grandma now has a new horses lol xD

Meet Delilah.
Her breed is unknown. She stands about 13.3 - 14 hh and is 18 - 20 years old.

The lady saved her at an auction and has had her for the last month and a half roughly (I actually saw/met the mare a week after she was saved). This mare was once a kids pony who was just pushed to the side before being sent to auction. Her teeth were so bad the most she could do was drool, slurp up soft food, and that was about it. She also was nearly skin and bones, still had last winters coat, and in general, was in poor health. But in the last month and a bit of care and seeing the vet, getting her teeth done, and getting propper food, she's bounced back fairly well. She's already put on at least 100 lbs. She does have cushings, but it's so minor that it's nearly non existent.

The lady is also going to be sending along the food and pills that Delilah needs to give my grandma a good start with her. So we're all pretty excited for this lovely lady to arrive next week Sunday. She's super sweet and definitely needs someone to love on her. And now, she will be able to live her life out in a field with a little pony, eat all the grass and hay her heart desires, and get to be loved on by me, my grandma, and the little girl my grandma babysits at times.
I'm pretty excited to see this little lady really blossom under proper care once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
10,689 Posts
She's very cute! Good for you and your grandma. But make sure she is medicated daily for Cushings. My neighbors had a Cushings horse that lived to the age of 29 with daily meds (Prascend), however, I know someone else who just put her horse down because within a year of the diagnosis (not medicated), the horse went downhill very quickly and lost all interest in life.

· Registered
13,085 Posts
First I'm sure the other lady had great intentions when she rescued Deliliah but quickly learned how much work & money a metabolic horse can be:(. She cared enough to try and find the mare a good home.

It is critical you get a vet involved right away because the mare cannot be allowed to run out of her cushings medicine, which is costly and likely part of why the other lady needed to rehome Delilah.

It is also critical to have a qualified farrier involved and keep Delilah's hooves trimmed on a regular basis. Now that cold weather is coming every 5-6 weeks would probably be sufficient.

Please PLEASE read this link and also have your grandma do some reading, even if you have to print some things off for her.

https://www.ecirhorse.org

The bar on the left has different links. Read the cushings link first. Then read the laminitis link. Then read the insulin resistance link as cushings horses can also develop insulin resistance.

If your grandma is on the Net, direct her to this post:). If your family has never dealt with cushings before, it is critical all of you quickly learn:)

Cushings disease does not go away and the horse must stay on its medicine and the hooves well maintained. Cushings is a failure of the pituitary gland and the deterioration is gradient. The level and speed of deterioration depends on each horse and the level of management given by the owner.

Thank you to your grandma for taking Delilah in. I just hope she is able to be Delilah's last stop as I would bet a lot of money the reason Delilah ended up being a rescue in the first place was the fact she has cushings --- someone either wouldn't take the time or didn't have the the money to deal with it:)

Best wishes to all of you in caring for Delilah:). There are quite a few of us on this forum who have dealt with metabolic issues in horses, so please feel free to ask questions (including anything your grandma might wonder about) and we will do our best to help:)

But for now --- please read the ECIRHorse link above and let your grandma know a vet should see Delilah right away. The Prascend (a compounded form of Pergolide) the lady gave your grandma is a prescription only medicine, therefore a vet has to write the prescription:)

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's very cute! Good for you and your grandma. But make sure she is medicated daily for Cushings. My neighbors had a Cushings horse that lived to the age of 29 with daily meds (Prascend), however, I know someone else who just put her horse down because within a year of the diagnosis (not medicated), the horse went downhill very quickly and lost all interest in life.
That's quite a difference. And the lady we are getting her from is actually sending along the meds that she has so that will definitely be taken care of. She also thankfully has a very mild case to the point it's nearly non existent, so hopefully it stays that way with proper care.

· Premium Member
10,689 Posts
It's great that the Cushings is mild! Make sure it stays that way by keeping her on the meds. Don't let your grandma run out, and make sure Delilah doesn't get fat. With good care, Cushings horses can live for years and years, and still be quite healthy! But don't let your grandmother make the mistake of thinking that it is so mild that it doesn't need medication anymore, or she could get worse very fast. Cushings does not disappear, nor can it be cured. @walkinthewalk knows all about it so read her link carefully! Delilah may need additional special care, may not be able to eat grass (or in small quantities - something that can also be addressed by using a grazing muzzle), should not have ANY sugar (that includes natural sugars found in carrots and apples), should have low NSC hay, etc. By going the extra step in terms of management, you'll avoid expensive and heartbreaking complications down the road.

· Registered
92 Posts
Please listen to everyone else and make sure you get a vet involved ASAP. Her medication will only last so long until it runs out. Not sure how many pills she is coming with, but this is something that needs to be managed daily with medication, and specific feeding program/turnout etc. I am glad your grandma was able to take her in, now just make sure you get a vet on board ASAP so that if any complications come up, and when her meds run out, you already have a prescription filled and waiting to keep her on the meds. She's cute, congrats!

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have taken the steps to learn about cushings, but appreciate your guys concern and advice. Delilah has already been seen by the vet and other than the cushings and needing to gain weight, she's in good health. Her teeth were done and her hooves are fine, and she's gotten all the shots that she's needed. The plot of land she'll be on with the pony doesn't normally grow a whole lot of grass anyway so she'll be on a hay diet for the most part and will get some other feed to help her gain the weight that she needs and so on. Everything is set up and ready for her arrival and care.

· Registered
13,085 Posts
Sounds like everything is heading down the right path!:)

Please keep up dating along with pictures of Delilah and her pony friend:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.