The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new Bates Next Generation saddle today. I already have a Bates, so I know they're fantastic. The bummer of it is, it came just before I had to leave for work, so now I have to wait until tomorrow to try it out. I had been getting by with the AP version. The new one should be better for jumping and XC. Can't wait!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
You are so lucky lol!!! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got my new Bates Next Generation saddle today. I already have a Bates, so I know they're fantastic. The bummer of it is, it came just before I had to leave for work, so now I have to wait until tomorrow to try it out. I had been getting by with the AP version. The new one should be better for jumping and XC. Can't wait!!
I have a Bates Caprilli and love it. Good luck. How are you going to afford your trailer now? LOL!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Congrats on the new saddle, I have a question though - how are the tree's?

You have a TB, so I am curious to know how the tree fits your curvy backed hoss?

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the new saddle, I have a question though - how are the tree's?

You have a TB, so I am curious to know how the tree fits your curvy backed hoss?
I leased a lot of TB's before I got Puck. I purposely got the Bates AP so I would be able to adjust the saddle as needed. The shoulder area is very easy to fit due to the 6 different gullets it comes with. The catch is the cantle area. With the medium gullet, the cantle area covers the area is should and has good contact. However, if you have to go down to the smallest/narrowest gullet size, it creates a little more space behind and the coverage sometimes suffers which can create some side to side movement. This is the problem I have with my Bates AP Caprilli model. The new saddle is a close contact design and has a more narrow twist. My thought was that the narrower twist will let me keep the medium gullet in and create more contact throughout. I didn't have time to play with it today, but it's priority #1 for tomorrow.

I'll take some pics when the temps get back over 20 degrees and I can feel my hands.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I'm taking lessons on Bates currently and I think it's very comfortable saddle. Congrats!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Congrats! I got one in and thought it was absolutely beautiful. A little sad to sell it... but I preferred the money. :) Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, here's a few pics of the new saddle. Ironically I forgot to take a side shot to show the balance in the center of the saddle, but oh well. Let me know what you think. I'm thinking maybe one gullet narrower, but won't really know until I can ride in it a bit. Ground is just too hard and frozen to do anything but walk right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
My god it looks so fancy!
I bet it was reaaaally pricey!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not a cheap saddle, but it came with free shipping, girth, stirrups leather, stirrups and entire gullet set. Basically $300 worth of free stuff. I just couldn't pass it up. I've been oggling it since November and finally pulled the trigger. I just wish the ground would thaw so I can finally realize my true riding potential in my new Bates saddle! It is silly, but I do hope it gives me that last 5% of confidence I'm currently lacking to bring my jumping up a notch. There's a few really early eventing shows this year that I'd love to be up to speed for.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I love the style and the color and the look of it! stunning. Hope you are able to figure out the fitting, looks like a great saddle.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
What a gorgeous saddle! Congrats and I hope it works out well for both you and your horse!

I love the shape of the panels and how they are angled nicely - I love how they are flat on the bottom and lay nicely on your horses back. I hate rounded panels.

The gullet width looks very nice as well, what? About 3 fingers?

How does the tree lay on your horses back? With my Wintec 500 A/P, it was too strait. It lay on his shoulders and lay on the end where the cantle is - but right in the middle, it didn't make contact with his back at all.

Glad I found a new home for it.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as I can tell, there's no bridging. I ran my hand all the way alone his back and it feels like it makes consistent contact. I have to put a little dirt on his back and ride in it with my white baby pad underneath to make sure.

The gullet does look good, but when I wiggle it side to side, there's a little more play in there than I'd like to see. I'm going to go one narrower and hopefully my sheepskin pad will make up for an extra movement after that. I think I went too narrow with my other saddle and actually inhibited his shoulders from developing. Time will tell.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Yeah, Nelson has the pockets behind his shoulders due to that.

White - I am going to assume that the Bates Gullet system is exactly the same as Wintecs and Collegiate's.

You are going wide with your boy eh? If he is anything shaped like Nelson, I would try a Medium Wide and see how that works. I wouldn't go medium, because then the bars will be pushing down on his shoulders.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
drool drool drool. I guess the one upside to being an adult rider is that we can buy ourselves beautiful things like this saddle. I hope you and Puck really enjoy it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.