The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very excited! A couple of days ago i put a deposit on an American Saddlebred mare and I will be picking her up this weekend. Not being too familiar with the breed i was wondering if anyone had some information or good tips on them. I have an Arabian and a Quarter Horse and this mare is probably the size of the two of them put together. She is a big girl!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I grew up on a saddle bred and got away from horses a while and recently bought a quarter horse. He is a great horse but he always felt strange to ride. My wife loved him so much I pretty much gave him to her. I got a saddle bred right after and all is right with the world again! They are so great to ride! I can stay on my saddle bred all day! For the most part they are generally fairly calm but mine is all go! I like most all horses but saddle breeds are #1 in my book. Great all purpose riders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My baby girl is coming home Friday! I can't wait. I have attached a picture of her with her previous owner riding Western. She goes both English and Western and has been shown successfully, I am thinking about showing her this summer English. She is registered with both the saddlebred association and as a pinto.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Seems like a very nice horse. Just remember if you are nervous about riding a saddlebred they will be nervous, not saying you will be and you probably won't though I think that a lot of saddlebreds act flighty because the people riding them are acting flighty and scared.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Im so jelly. I want a saddlebred so badly but they are impossible to find where I live. She is beautiful, congratulations!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a saddlebred a few years ago. He could be a little nervous (nothing crazy; and it was mostly because he was trained very poorly, and because I was nervous.), but he was the absolute sweetest, gentlest horse I've ever met. He let me ride him around bareback all the time, and would trot over to the gate every time he saw me coming. I was very inexperienced when I owned him (pretty much a beginner.) and I had a lot of traumatic life events around that time, so I ended up selling him, something I regret now. Good luck with your mare, I am sure you will find her to be the absolute sweetest horse you've met, and easy to bond with! She is beautiful BTW! If I could buy another saddlebred, I would in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sad News

I posted that thread on the american saddlebred mare a while ago. She was 16.2h Sadly she had a very bad case of lyme disease and I did not have her for too much longer. I did recently get an 8 year old saddlebred that hasn't been anywhere near the south and has a perfectly good clean bill of health. She is an odd horse, and I do mean odd, but i like her. She's a 15.3h buckskin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.