The Horse Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
From another place...

I got mine yesterday!

It is basically a hack-saw blade stuck into a wooden handle. WIsh I had thought of it. It worked well.

The 10" is nice for the barrel and butt, but is a little cumbersome for the entire body, I wish I would have gotten the smaller one.

I used it on my Paint mare for a good half hour and pulled LOTS of hair out of her body, but she didn't tolerate it on her neck, so I had to use the shed flower for her neck and belly (the SleekEZ was difficult to get under the belly area as well, I think the problem would be resolved by using a smaller one).

Then we really put it to the test and my trainer used it on his 28 year old TB who just does.not.shed. very well... they will body clip him when it is warmer, but this stuff got a TON off him in the short time he used it. By the time we swept up our hair we had about three dust pans full of heaping hair by my Paint and his TB.

Going to try it on two other horses tomorrow to see if it works well on them, my QH and the little QH mare I am training. The mare isn't blanketed and has some dry skin issues so I am most interested to see how well it does on her. I will do a before and after picture if I can remember!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I love the slicker blocks, haven't tried one of these. For those of you who buy the black slick & easy blocks...you can get them much cheaper! Years ago, I had a chef friend over at the barn and he said "why are you using a grill block on your horse?" All they are is a piece of a restaurant type grill block used to clean grill grates! I found them at a food supply store, they come in a block about 10 inches long, take a hacksaw or knife and you can cut yourself 8 or 9 out of one! It costs me $1.79 for an entire block :)
THIS is an excellent tip!! Thank you!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Golden - I thought that that's what the blade was. I suspected it was pretty much like my Furminator blade, just on a longer handle.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I am just wondering what kind of lasting damage it does to hair. I know that over use or incorrect use of the furminator dang near destroys a dog's coat, I don't see why it would be any different for a horse...

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
^ I'm curious about the same...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hopefully I'll remember too take pictures when I'm out tomorrow.

As far as coat quality goes, I only had to use it once in my very hairy baby. It pulled off darn near every loose hair he had. He loved it all over his body, even his belly with lighter pressure. He's a petite horse, so he doesn't have many broad, wide spaces. Given this, I had no issues using the 10" size all over from neck to belly to butt. I didn't go down his legs or on his face, obviously. It left him much softer than before. I tried doing it again the next day and I wasn't getting enough hair off him to make it worth my time.

I found that it works best on blanketed or fairly clean horses. Otherwise, the blade keeps getting clogged with dirt and grime. It does say to brush the horse first anyway, I believe. i used it on the hairiest horse at the barn and barely got anything off the second time around. I've let 5 other people at the barn use it on a total of 7 other horses from 2 years old up to 25 years old, and everyone loved it and said it worked great for them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone tried to make their own yet?

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I'm waiting to see what the blade looks like before trying. If it looks like a hacksaw blade then I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
From what Ive been told, the blade is very very fine, and also VERY sharp!! A friend said that she cut her self with it, and that it was such a fine blade, that she never realized she had done it until she saw blood on her arm. She said that it works wonders, but if your horse has sensitive skin, it might be a little irritating. She said that you cant really go over and over and over one spot.

But Ive been told by many people that it works wonders, and is much better than the Furminator or anything else that they have used. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
This looks great; Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I dont like the idea that it is sharp. cutting your horse by accident is not conducive to a happy grooming session.

I love my furminator. Unfortunatly I am going to have to replace it! it has survived doing 4 horses and 2 golden retrievers for 4 years but the handle is now giving up!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I dont like the idea that it is sharp. cutting your horse by accident is not conducive to a happy grooming session.

I love my furminator. Unfortunatly I am going to have to replace it! it has survived doing 4 horses and 2 golden retrievers for 4 years but the handle is now giving up!
Are these things actually $73? Is that what you paid?

Long Hair Giant Dog deShedding Tool

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Are these things actually $73? Is that what you paid?

Long Hair Giant Dog deShedding Tool
I use the original large dog(yellow handle) you can get it pretty cheap on amazon.com I got mine from petsmart when i was working there, i think it was around $50 but i got 35%off because i was a groomer there...this is actually the first i'v heard of the long hair de-shedding tool, it must be pretty new

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
God i am so glad all my guys are fully clipped all that is shedding are 4legs and a tail triangle its fantastic i definitely dont miss out on shedding season

41 - 60 of 97 Posts