The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down a rabbit hole and purchased a side pull for Dandy boy in case we couldn't work out a way to get him to take a bit, or it just doesn't seem like he's a horse who likes having one regardless of the type.

So far, I like it a lot.
My only concern is it might be too big for him but he's a large horse for his breed and there's plenty of room for adjustments.

It's rather hefty. I don't have a lot of experience with side pulls outside of rope halters so I don't know if that's normal.

The material though? So soft.
It's like aged leather that's been used for years; properly oiled and taken care of. The reigns are true to length as well, and I'm hoping they're long enough for his long neck.
Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Premium Member
10,104 Posts
Is it biothane? It looks like it. I have a biothane halter/bridle combo that I love. I've had it for a couple of years and use it almost daily - it still looks brand new. So easy to clean too. I often ride in just the halter part, using it as a sidepull. Works just fine. I put in a bit when I want to do a trail for a little more control.

I mean, it doesn't matter what any of us think if your horse and you are happy with it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it biothane? It looks like it. I have a biothane halter/bridle combo that I love. I've had it for a couple of years and use it almost daily - it still looks brand new. So easy to clean too. I often ride in just the halter part, using it as a sidepull. Works just fine. I put in a bit when I want to do a trail for a little more control.

I mean, it doesn't matter what any of us think if your horse and you are happy with it.
Yes it is! I have neoprene padding on there for more comfort as well.
Unfortunately it's a tad too big for him. I could punch more holes but the excess material would be too much, I think.
I'm thinking of getting him a smaller size, but in a hybrid version as he did great in it as a sidepull.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it is exactly the same one as I am using on my new lease horse. It is ok. I prefer riding with a bit, but the owner's tack is what I must use, and that's ok.
Oh nice!
I got mine from two horse and I'm really pleased with it so far.

I also prefer a bit because I feel my signals aren't quite as clear with the side pull. But, I'll own that to rider error. I didn't have to fight with him for an hour to put it on.

·
Premium Member
8,473 Posts
Yes, I have cut the ends off biothane throatlatches and stirrup leathers that were too long.
I have the same sidepull from Two Horse. On my pony, it tilted on the top of the nose and dug in, which she didn't like. Probably just her nose anatomy. She likes the crossunder style much better.
I like their tack and buy lots of it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a normal horse size and I'll probably keep the warm blood size for if/when there becomes a use for it.

My concern is that even if I cut the excess material, the width of the headband /nose band is too wide and causes unnecessary movement and confusion.

Either way, it's nice to see another person who has bought their stuff!
I am very pleased with all of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts