The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
35,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread it was suggested that we should have a sub forum for Western and Cowboy dressage.
Since we currently have sub forums that get little to no traffic are there any new sub forums that members would be more interested in
Give your ideas on this thread - no guarantee that they'll happen
You can show support for suggestions by giving the post a 'like' to don't put multiple suggestions in one post

·
Super Moderator
26,699 Posts
but then dressage doesn't get its own subforum :(
It's under english riding.

I see no reason we can't add western dressage under western riding.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I think it would be better to have the divisions of

Hunt/Jump

Dressage
(includes Western and English)

Western

My reasoning is that Western and English dressage have more similarity to each other than to jumping sports on the one hand and western sports on the other.

·
Administrator
35,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This could get confusing
What happens is that we have:
The Forum and then the various sub forum, sub sub forums and even sub sub sub forums!!

What the tech team will want to discuss with the Mods is demand for dedicated 'slots' for specific disciplines rather than have then mixed in with a generalized subject
There is a dressage slot so if we're talking western/cowboy dressage it would have to be divided up into two slots - one for regular dressage and one for the western/cowboy dressage to make it easier to locate threads or it could have its own slot in Western riding - which would be more appropriate for Cowboy dressage

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
i like dressage being under english riding and WESTERN dressage being under Western riding. there is no rule against reading what the english dressage riders are doing but for the sake of clarity i think it should go under western. it is WESTERN Dressage after all.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
i like dressage being under english riding and WESTERN dressage being under Western riding. there is no rule against reading what the english dressage riders are doing but for the sake of clarity i think it should go under western. it is WESTERN Dressage after all.
Yeah but I've been invited to several Western dressage events and when I say, "but I ride in an English saddle," the response is, "in Western dressage it doesn't matter what saddle you have."

I can't say exactly what that means.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
There are some distinct differences between Cowboy Dressage and Western Dressage, enough that Eitan Hallachmy (creator of Cowboy Dressage) split off from the dressage folks. Western Dressage is basically classical dressage with Western tack and not a demand for real big movement. If I was going to divide things up I would either put Western dressage as a sub of Classical Dressage and Cowboy under Western Riding or put them all under Classical Dressage with subs for Western & Cowboy and Working Equitation. Working Eq is growing really fast and combines trail, dressage and a speed round. Might as well get ahead of the curve.

Oh, just thought of something when I replied to Avna's post about saddles. USDF does not recognize Western Dressage, it's ruled by USEF. So, I guess it really would make more sense to put it in Western Riding.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
Yeah but I've been invited to several Western dressage events and when I say, "but I ride in an English saddle," the response is, "in Western dressage it doesn't matter what saddle you have."

I can't say exactly what that means.
Right now, at least, they're pretty much allowing any western saddle as legal. If it's not a USEF recognized show, they probably would care if you rode on a hunt seat saddle.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was told if I wanted to compete in Western Dressage in Florida, it had to be a true Western saddle--not an Aussie, not a Paso Fino, not a trooper, not an endurance. Barrel race, Western trail, roping--all those saddles would be OK. Just sayin' what I was told.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
I think a bit of weeding out of dead sections or sub sections would not hurt...it can take ages to decide where to start your thread.

Dressage, there is a lot of crossover between Western and Traditional Dressage, enough that the participants can find common ground and a language that both can understand.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I was told if I wanted to compete in Western Dressage in Florida, it had to be a true Western saddle--not an Aussie, not a Paso Fino, not a trooper, not an endurance. Barrel race, Western trail, roping--all those saddles would be OK. Just sayin' what I was told.
WDAA just sent out a poll to see how the members felt about what saddles to allow. They will be discussing the results at the World conference and will address the rules after they come to a decision. At this point, I believe the majority wanted trail, endurance and Aussie saddles to be allowed. Since there are now gaited divisions, those saddles are at least approved in those divisions. But this all only applies to USEF recognized shows. If it's just a schooler and someone just wanted to try it out and only had an English saddle, I bet they'd let them try. I know they would where I ride.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Working equitation would be great

·
Administrator
3,254 Posts
Thanks jaydee,

Keep those likes coming. We will go over the likes, suggestions, and feedback with the mod team when we get more input and look into updating sections if agreed.

JB

1 - 16 of 16 Posts