Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ! This is my first post.
I live with my family on a half section of land, its an old horse ranch.
Im looking at getting my first horse and I have a few decisions to make.
My favorite horse is the shire horse and I have done a lot of reading about this breed.
I tracked down a local breeder that lives about 15 minutes from my place.
He has a number of Shires that he breeds and shows on the Canadian horse circuit. His mares ended up birthing too many males so hes selling some for about 1500 each. Show quality parents, nice long legs good form incredibly friendly horses !

Theres two horses I am trying to choose between. One is a yearling colt black with white blaze and white leggings but the pattern is very random. Hes friendly and halter broke but not saddle broke. His parents are show horses but hes not of show quality. Will grow to be 19 hands or more.

The other horse is a 6 month old dark bay with nice white leggings and a star.
His markings are very symmetrical and he has really nice form. Better form than the first horse I mentioned imo. Also very friendly. The downside is hes quite young and has no training at all. It looks like he may grow up to be show quality but its too soon to tell. He will likely grow to be around 17 hands.

I wanted a black and white shire but I REALLY prefer the overall look and conformation of the young bay colt.

The owner tells me that the older Black and white is the better deal because hes semi trained.

A lot of it comes down to training...

I grew up around horses, my parents and sister and friends all have them and I have done a lot of riding... always other peoples horses. I have never owned or trained a horse but I have read many books and have a good understanding of how it is done.
I am good with horses in general.
I am also 6'2 300 pounds of solid muscle and feel more secure on larger horses. I once rode a wee little mexican horse and I thought I was going to crush the poor thing.
I know a lot of horse breeders and trainers and I have been asking them all sorts of advice. I can get help from them for training. Time and cost isnt an issue either.

Everybody keeps telling me not to get a draft horse especially an untrained draft horse for my first horse. But I just dont like any other horses that are offered nearly as much as the shire and I feel I should be able to handle training one. With the help of books friends family and my own experience around horses. It will just take time patience and consistency.

Everybody telling me dont do it kind of has me worried... but something inside me says do it.

I need any and all advice please !
and thank you all in advance !

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
I am jealous!!! :-x:-x:-x

I've always wanted a shire....I LOVE the black and white ones...and their feathers are prolific!! I am a feather addict!!!:)

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Do you have a trainer in mind that you can hire to help you if you find you need it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have ridden a lot, and one of my first horses was a big 5yr 2000lb Percheron/Arab Pinto cross, completely untrained ( no halter training or anything!!!) And now he is halter trained, will lift his feet, comes when called, and starting saddle training.

Now I am a 5'2", woman, and I have had no real issues.

Listen to your gut!! My gut told me to buy Jester, and everyone told me no, but I am SO GLAD I bought him!!

I have 2 colts (7months) and everything I did with them I did with Jester, he was just bigger :D. Go with the one your heart wants! Training a youngster takes time and patience and its not impossible!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
890 Posts
If you have never trained a horse, I wouldn't count on being able to train one now. I have owned horses for many many years. I know quite a bit about them. I have been riding since I was a little girl. But I do not train my own horses, because I am not a trainer. I do work on certain things with them, like ground work. That's relatively easy to do, and you don't have to be a trainer to do it. As long as you're prepared to spend a lot of time and money on training either of these horses, then I would say go for it. They are both colts, do you plan to geld the one you pick? If you decide to keep him as a stud, you will need even more time/ training to make sure he can keep his hormones under control at all times. A stallion with no manners is a disaster.

A yearling colt with halter training and a 6 month colt with nothing is the question, really though, right? I personally think there is little difference as far as training. Yeah halter trained is more then nothing, but truth is they BOTH will need extensive training. I would say the one with better confirmation would be a wise choice. Not only can you not show the yearling, it'll be harder to sell him if you ever want or need to, and depending on how bad his confirmation is, it could lead to some medical issues. Or even prevent you from being able to ride him years down the line.

Plus I am a sucker for bay horses ;)

If you can get some pictures I would love to see them.

And welcome to the forum! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the advice! this has taken a lot off my mind.
I do have a number of friends who are professional trainers that I can get advice and help from.
Im more of a rider/bookworm when it comes to horses lol but hopefully that will change.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My first horse was a 6 month old... I went to a horse training clinic (Clinton Anderson) took notes, bought a couple of his DVD's and of course we had to have his equipment... but I basically did all the ground work with him up to the point where I was riding him then I got a trainer....

It can be done and if you've got friends to help you and guide you then I'd say go for it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Shires are definitely beautiful.
I assume you are considering that you will feed, vet, care for this animal for a minimum of 2 years before you are ever able to get on his back? For someone wanting a first horse (or any horse!), this seems like an A-W-F-U-L-L-Y long time to wait!
If you want to know whether I think you should get these horses or another horse entirely, I would say get a trained horse you can start riding today. Then if you want a baby on down the line, get a baby. I always vote for a trained horse as a first horse, regardless how much experience you have.
If you want to know which of these two horses you should get, I say the one you like the best. Consider looks, conformation, personality, etc. There isn't a whole lot of difference between 6 months and 1 year.
And like another poster said, please consider whether you will geld him or if you plan to stud him. If you won't be gelding him, you will need to consider much additional training, as well as adequate facilities for him.
Good luck and let us know what you do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.