The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am going to start learning to jump soon. I was wondering if a all purpose saddle would be okay to start out with. I want to get a close contact saddle eventually but just can't afford it at the moment. If you could just tell me your opinions or offer any advice I would really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
You're going to learn to jump... :clap:
Are you planning on showing in jumping classes or just learn to jump to enjoy a occasional pop over some fences?
Yes, it would make a difference...
If to show...then get the proper saddle from the start...the close-contact.
If you are only going to occasionally pop over a fence and not be so concerned with form but just staying on and out of the horses way, then get the A/P...

I started to ride my own horse in a A/P saddle...loved that saddle.
But when I really started to take lessons and further my education in riding found that unfortunately that saddle had me learn some very unhealthy habits of my lower leg placement because of that knee roll.
To this day, 40+ years later when astride and a crisis occur my instinctual reaction is revert to the A/P saddle ride and that gets me usually in trouble...
For me, that knee roll encouraged and taught me grip with the knee...
The close-contact saddle and years of lessons instead taught me to use my entire leg, not just pinch with the knee..

You don't have as much "protection" in a close contact, not as much forced leg support...you must build it yourself.
If you plan to put in the time and hard work of riding balanced and using your own body not a saddle for a base of support, then absolutely do close contact.
If you want to just enjoy hacking and occasional jumps there is nothing wrong with a A/P and it gives much better support of the body and is more comfortable to ride in {imo} but for someone who is wanting to go to horse shows you will be at a disadvantage against others who fit the fad pattern of close contact used.

If this was me...
Where ever you are going to learn to jump from should have tack in suitable sizes for you to ride in.
While you are learning, use the lesson horses tack and do try different saddles to find one that fits you well, offers support and you are comfortable in.
Save your money during this time.
In reality, there are sales sites that sell not only horses but tack and all kinds of it.
Buy used that is better quality than you would afford new as the price of good tack is very expensive and cheap tack new is junk and you do not want to buy junk that is junk for many reasons.
Look online if set on new at places like Dover Saddlery at their own line of tack which is good quality, reasonable priced and going to set you up in good positioning to ride safely, effectively and not fail/break like much of that new junk can do.
There are also groups on Facebook area specific and discipline specific that sell tack, you just need to ask for a English saddle in the Horseheads area and see what is offered...
Where you are is heavy into English riding and that means there will be choices used that will help your money go further when purchasing...besides let someone else break-in the saddle to comfortable ride not sitting on a stiff. :cool:
But do try many saddles before spending your money on the wrong one...truth!
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
I learned in an AP. Didn't have the money to have two saddles at the time, and I didn't know I wanted to focus on jumping so my parents just bought me a saddle I could do everything in. It was... okay. I have some bad habits from it (and some from less than brilliant coaching but that's a story for another thread) but it was better than trying to jump in a dressage saddle and better than trying to do flatwork in a jumping saddle - which are both possible but definitely not ideal. Even the best all purpose saddles try to be the best of both worlds. Try to be good at everything. They're not really good at anything as a result but for low level jumping, if you don't have the money for a jumping saddle, they do fine.

I jump in a Wintec 500 CC now, and I love it, but I will never tell anyone that they HAVE TO spend money they don't have. Yes, you can learn to jump in an AP, up to about 80cm.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I don't jump much, but when I do I used an all purpose saddle. I show mostly equitation and Hunt seat, with the odd Hunter hack class if offered. Just recently I bought a close contact saddle, I will admit I bought it for looks, it's a beauty, from my daughter. A Bates with that stupid Cair removed and reflocked with wool done so exquisitely by the Saddle Doctor. It took me a bit to find my sweet spot in it, now I find I ride better in it than the AP. In fact, I will use it for a dressage lesson in a couple of days and see what my coach says. The AP is more comfortable though, it's a Collegiate Senior. So I do see a big difference and if I were to jump, I would strictly use the close contact as I feel my position is better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone, one thing I want to clarify is I own my own horse, he is already trained in jumping and lots of other disciplines as well. I'm a experienced rider, just not in jumping and I wasn't really sure. I actually have a all purpose saddle already but the flaps are pretty long and I can already imagine it could be hard to jump in and cause bad habits with leg position, grip, etc. I do plan on showing after I gain enough experience. This is why I was wondering if it would be okay to start out with a all purpose. I'm on a fixed income so I've been searching for a used close contact saddle while I save for a new one but haven't found anything

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
You sure can! But when you get the opportunity to get a close contact saddle, if I were you I would.

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
What size saddle are you needing?

Many people know of saddles sitting that may fit your needs and be acceptable price to you...
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts