Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have never jumped before (aside from jumping over streams) and I would like to learn how. My horses have not learned but they can be taught. Does anyone have any tips on how to teach them and me to jump? I know you should start slow and use trotting poles and stuff.
Thanks!!:D

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Are there any trainers with finished school horses in the area? Do NOT teach your horses to jump until you have learned to do so on a horse that is a steady packer and knows how to jump. It will also make your learning a lot safer. Jumping is not as easy as it looks and all it takes is one stop, run out, etc. for you to become seriously injured.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
^agreed^ jumping is not something you should learn with your horse one needs to teach the other, if you cannot jump and your horse cannot jump you need to find someone to teach you to jump on another horse and if you want your horse to jump you need to find a trainer to teach them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are no trainers in the area. I live in a small town in North Dakota and I don't even know anyone who rides English.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I agree with the others to a certain degree... but I've learned most of the (limited) jumping that I've done with my horse while teaching him. I had help with miscellaneous barn people when I had troubles though.

Even if you don't have any trainers in your area, I'd find someone with jumping experience to help you out. I'd also suggest finding someone in the area with a horse that at least knows the basics that can teach YOU the basic position and whatnot. Just look around, ask, and see what you can find.

Anyway, my first piece of advice is to definitely start with trot poles. Introduce him to them, then start by riding at a walk, then at a trot over one. Move on to multiple poles on the ground. Don't push it too fast with him, or it will be a dangerous and unpleasant experience for everyone involved. He needs to be trotting over poles without batting an eye before you should even consider raising up the jumps.

The other piece of advice that I have is to never use PVC pipes as poles when teaching a horse to jump. I have never personally witnessed any incidents because of their use, but many folks believe that they are dangerous because they can break if a horse steps on them. My issue with that them is since they're not solid, a horse has no repercussions for knocking them with their legs. At my old barn when I first introduced my guy to jumping, it was all they had. He learned that he could put minimal effort into jumping, and that hitting poles was no big deal. Moved him to a new barn with proper wooden poles, and he very quickly learned that knocking poles with his legs was unpleasant. Avoid the situation altogether, and don't go near PVC pipes. Others will be able to provide more sound advice, but just a few from my experiences :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DuckDodgers!! That was very helpful. Not very many people in my area have horses and nobody rides English but I will see what I can find. My dad offered to help so I will have an experienced rider teaching me.

Do you think I should start by riding him or lunging him over the poles and jumps?? I really appreciate your advice and help!! I will try to be as safe as I can! Thanks

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Thanks DuckDodgers!! That was very helpful. Not very many people in my area have horses and nobody rides English but I will see what I can find. My dad offered to help so I will have an experienced rider teaching me.

Do you think I should start by riding him or lunging him over the poles and jumps?? I really appreciate your advice and help!! I will try to be as safe as I can! Thanks
Personally, I'd probably walk him over poles a couple of times just so that he knows that they aren't the devil. Don't make a big deal of it, just do it. Then I'd start him under saddle just walking over them. Take it from there. Being a dumb kid, I made the mistake of just trotting towards and over the poles as though I assumed that all horses were born with a knowledge of poles. Nothing bad happened, but he got all wigged out when it came time to step over them. The girl that was helping me just said "Um... has he ever even seen a trot pole?!"

Also, I don't know what exactly you mean when you say that you don't have many English riders in "your area". There may not be any trainers in your immediate area, but in most areas I would guess that you could find someone with jumping experience if you're willing to travel a couple of hours at most. It may be worth expanding your search to find someone to give you a couple of lessons. Not so you have to make a two hour drive every week, but perhaps there is a barn with some experienced horses that you can take a couple of lessons from before you try anything on your own. Just to get a general idea about the basics!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again, Thankyou!! I really appreciate the help. I will try to find someone but I don't think I'll have any luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.