The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking lessons for 10 months now. I'm a working student right now, I ride, on average, 3 times a week. I ride the same horse every lesson and a few different ones when I work. When I'm at the barn I feed all horses (about 20), hay, water, clean (sweeping, scrubbing buckets etc..), and help teach lessons. Right now I walk, trot, canter in saddle and walk, trot bareback. I've learned diagonal and simple lead changes. I am very eager to learn, this is all I really think about right now. I understand that everyone learns at different rates, but at the rate that I am going, with you all's life experience, how long should it be before I can jump? Thank you so much! :)

· Registered
5,662 Posts
My trainer always said when you can ride a full lesson with no stirrups at the walk, trot and canter. That was her "golden rule". We also had to have quiet hands, a solid seat and a balanced two point without resting on the neck.

All and all, I know everyone is anxious to get where they way to go in the horse world but never underestimate a SOLID foundation. It's something you'll never be sorry about taking time for!!
Posted via Mobile Device

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Well, each place teaches you to jump at different times. The first riding school i went to i learnt to jump after about 6 months or lessons, i could only walk and trot, i had some ability in a canter. My new riding school only lets you jump after you can walk, trot and canter. I've heard of places that teach you to jump when you can only trot, others wait years.

I think you could probably start on some small cross rails.

· Registered
5,319 Posts
I was jumping within a couple month of starting. It was way too soon and I'm lucky that the only time I fell off I landed on my feet.

I ended up switching to a dressage instructor and got a solid foundation. The next time I went back to jumping it was a whole different experience. That was about 6 1/2 years after my first lesson. I would have been fine jumping before then I think, but the horses I was leasing were not suited to jumping.

· Registered
492 Posts
It's been about a year and I'm just now able to go over poles without feeling like I'm about to kill myself. Have you asked your instructor if you can try a jump?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.