The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm totally new to all this, so please bear with me :)

Recently did a group ride in Steamboat Springs with family and friends, and really enjoyed it. Felt a bond with my horse, "Dutch". Learned about riding, gear, and horse personalities.

I'm also an entrepreneur interested in helping people...and something clicked with the whole riding experience. So thought I'd spend some time here. Interested in learning about the challenges and difficulties riders and owners like you face on a daily basis.

I'll stop blabbing now, and go back to reading posts. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
John
NW Chicago suburbs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was the ride just an hour or two, or an all day thing?

it's hard to explain to people who don't care for horses how something DOES just 'click' when you are near them.
It was about 2 1/2 hours, 10 of us total. Were in the beautiful mountains of CO. south of Steamboat near Oak Creek.

The guide talked about the different personalities of the horses, and matched them up with all of us. My quarter horse was about 18 yrs old, and a good trail horse. Guide said she was getting too old for the real difficult mountain trails, and that was looking to sell in the near future. She had a great temperament and was easy to keep with the group.

I'm a long time motorcyclist and used to riding a 'steel horse.' So it was really cool how it 'clicked' being on the horse...caught me by surprise to be honest.

·
Registered
17,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum, & welcome to the world of riding! :)
That sounds like it was a fun ride!

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Welcome John!

This is quite a journey you've embarked on. You'll find that a lot of us are pretty hardcore horse people, however, we love to talk horses, so will go on - at length! - about anything horsey! But be warned, horses are highly addictive, and once you've got the bug, there is no cure.

As an entrepreneur, you'll appreciate that riding and horsemanship is most often about problem-solving. I know that as an academic, that is something I enjoy. You'll also find that horses demand your full attention. You have to be in the moment with them, because after all, they are a very large animal that is programmed to flee from predators. Predators can be a wolf, or just a plastic bag flapping in the wind. My mare freaked at kids on bicycles the other day.

They will test you, push you, and then reward you tenfold with a trust that is difficult to comprehend because it should go against all their instincts. But at the end of the day, horses make your life richer and fuller. And life is too short not to explore new passions!

So keep us informed on your journey! What's next? Riding lessons perhaps?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts