The Horse Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never ridden saddleseat before. I used to be big into hunter and foxhunting, but the only experience I have with gaited horses was an apprenticeship with a farrier who specialized in hackneys and saddlebreds.

Needless to say, I was smitten. I love the way these horses move, and now have myself a Morgan cross. Their movement and shoeing fascinates me, but since moving very far away there is absolutely nothing around me that even resembles saddleseat. No barns, trainers not even horses! There's plenty of gaited horses, but they're all smooth gaited trail riding horses, not a single high stepping horse to be found.

So how do I get into saddleseat from here? I know exactly one lady who has many years of saddlebred showing under her belt, but she's an hour away and I have no trailer. The only other information I have to go by is the very limited knowlege I've gained through osmosis from the hackney barns. I've been trying to fill the void with my current trainer who is very well versed in dressage, and she says my horse shows a lot of potential. But it's just not the same.

Where do I go from here? I don't need to show, I just want to dabble in saddleseat for my own amusement really.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts