The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I thought I would introduce myself! My name is Amelia and my family and I just purchased some beautiful horses which will be home this weekend :) I would love to connect with other horse people to chat with and ask advice being as I'm fairly new to the whole thing!

Thanks for taking the time to read!

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Amelia! Horses are such a wonderful addition to one's life, aren't they? I'm sure all of us can relate. :) I have to ask, though, as you mention that you are "fairly new" to horse ownership - is there anyone in your family with lots of horsemanship experience? You will want to have all the experience you can get before keeping a horse in a boarding facility, let alone several horses on your own property!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hello welcome to the forum! we are here to help, don't be afraid to ask.

"Saranda" ask a great question what kind of help do you have at hand? I'll ask a question of my own too.
What is your plan for these horses?
What are your goals?
What are your expectations for how they should behave?
Answering these questions is some of the best advice I can give to people that are new to horses.
Along with take some time to learn and understand how horses communicate with each other.
Good luck with you new heard members! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandra, my mom and dad both had horses through out their whole childhood :) and my Uncle has worked at the race track for 20+ years as a pee tester of all things haha it's just my first as we just finally got settled on a farm! :)

The yearling we fully intend to break to ride, nothing fancy just for pleasure!
Lady is already broke but very pregnant right now so for the moment she's just getting love and some much needed attention but we're going to work with her later in the year to get her back to being used to being ridden! My mom helped both my Uncles break horses for years before Uncle Fred passed away so she has a ton of experience and knows exactly what needs to be done :) our biggest concern right now is Lady has become a bit headshy which according to the woman we're getting her from she wasn't before, we're guessing it's mostly stress related right now as up until sunday she was living in a big pasture with a lot of other horses and very aggressive stud but she loves having her neck and back scratched and is okay with her ears for shot spurts just doesn't like getting her face touched for whatever reason.

Basically we're going to slowly get the yearling started on his groundwork while we wait to geld him and Lady needs a brush up course on being ridden and needs to be worked with on the head shyness. They're all registered horses but we really just want them for pleasure riding, nothing fancy :)

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
Hi & welcome Miss,

Sounds like you've got lots of fun coming up! Hope you enjoy the forum!

I may be telling you something you already know & have taken it the wrong way, but if you have a horse who's only a yearling, it's best not to start riding him for at least a couple of years yet. Horses don't mature physically until around 5-6yo & weightbearing & high impact work when immature can cause some serious damage.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun. Welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.