The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am new to the forum and thought maybe I can find some help, ideas, thoughts, etc.

I have a 10y/o Irish TB named Forrest Gump that rescued. He was 500lbs underweight, anemic, muscle wasting, etc. It has been almost a year to date and I am proud to say he had an amazing comeback! His anemia went away within a month of treatment and the heart murmur just went away with the vet visit last week!

When I got him we noticed he was in pain and I had a Chiro look at him. We did a lameness exam and noticed his Sacroiliac joint was in pain. So through a series of bute rehab and longing rehab we were able to eliminate the pain. He had a significant hitch and dragged his toe. I haven't ridden him, due to being underweight, but I have the go ahead to ride. It has been noticed that he doesn't "move quite right" behind.

I'm hoping that its due to the muscle wasting and not being in shape for nearly 4 years. Does anyone have any experience with horses like him? Issues? what did you do?

I am posting some pictures and videos below! Thanks everyone!

Before:
http://inlinethumb28.webshots.com/43995/2791238670035160315S600x600Q85.jpg

After:
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/24653/2296585620035160315S600x600Q85.jpg

Videos taken Yesterday

·
Registered
72 Posts
My goodness! Huge kudos to you for bringing him back so beautifully!! The difference you have encouraged is remarkable : )

Yeah, he's got a little hitch in the hind, looks Left hind to me but I won't swear to it. Also, it seems to be mechanical, not pain driven. This could mean a variety of things but one thought would be that it is because of his muscle atrophe, as in when his body finally resorted to sustaining itself from itself, started with the 'lighter' tissues that hold ligament/muscle/tendon together and generate their strength. He might not improve further in the hind, or he could clean right up. Either way, with your vet's blessing, I would say (however conservatively at first) ride, Forrest, ride : )

After you DO get up, you might consider a joint or tendon supplement. Even something as benign as MSM as an anti-inflammatoury can make the difference. I say 'after' because you want to know what his limits are before potentially masking something.

Walk. A lot. Trot for re-evalutation and to take a quick break from walking : ). Build as he does.

Well done, ForrestGump! And welcome to the forum. I am very new here as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! He is a very good boy! Once we got his system on a normal track he fattened up right away! I do have him on Corti-flex right now and plan to continue that. We also started giving him vitamin E, over the counter from wal-mart, 10 pills once a day. My vet said it would help his muscles a lot.

I dont mind much of a hitch and when he rounds up it pretty much goes away. I dont plan on making him a hunter, but when round just floats around. Before when we were working on rehab to eliminate the pain, his hitch did progressively get better...so I hope that is the key! a simple easy work outplan.

Luckily I am moving him to a hillier place thats about 250acres. So I plan on lots of walk trail rides all over the place! But I will try to keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!
You've done an excellent job on rehabbing him, way to go!! I see that hitch you're talking about, unfortunately I have no recommendations other than to stick with what's working - i.e. your vet's and chiropractor's advice.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
First off congratulations on your handsome man. Bless your heart for bringing him back to good health. Also welcome to the forum :D
Its good that you are going to be in a place with hills. I have a filly with a stifle lock problem. That was my first thought when you said he was dragging a leg. Work going up and down hills is great for working the hind quarter. Good luck with him and keep up the great work.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
That was a great job you've done. Have fun riding him!

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Might I recommend something else? Its only four dollars more than the Cortaflex pellets at valleyvet.com and its worked wonders for my OTTB. He has arthritis in both his back hocks and doesn't move right without it, actually reminds me of your your boys back left leg hitches up. It has basically everything that is recommended for joint health all in one supplement. I give double the recommended dose, but its definitely worth it.

Flex-Force with HA Corta-Flx (Equine - Horse Supplements - Joint - Powdered/Pellet)

Either way, he looks absolutely FABULOUS. Great job.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might I recommend something else? Its only four dollars more than the Cortaflex pellets at valleyvet.com and its worked wonders for my OTTB. He has arthritis in both his back hocks and doesn't move right without it, actually reminds me of your your boys back left leg hitches up. It has basically everything that is recommended for joint health all in one supplement. I give double the recommended dose, but its definitely worth it.

Flex-Force with HA Corta-Flx (Equine - Horse Supplements - Joint - Powdered/Pellet)

Either way, he looks absolutely FABULOUS. Great job.

Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely look into. Right now I use this kind...
Cortaflex Horse Glucosamine Pellets With HA

but its also convenient too. But I will definitely think about it!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wowy Shmowy! What a amazing job you have done.
He is a beautiful boy.
I too thought a stifle problem especialy the way he sort "slaps" his hind legs down when cantering.

Did you get X-rays.

I looked up Forest Gump and found a 10 yr old gelding (Great Britan) bred.

Dont know if it is him or not. The other was born in 1995 and listed as a "horse" so uless they gelded him late it probly isn't him

I think you have a beautiful horse. Your dedicated and on the right track.

Halfpass

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wowy Shmowy! What a amazing job you have done.
He is a beautiful boy.
I too thought a stifle problem especialy the way he sort "slaps" his hind legs down when cantering.

Did you get X-rays.

I looked up Forest Gump and found a 10 yr old gelding (Great Britan) bred.

Dont know if it is him or not. The other was born in 1995 and listed as a "horse" so uless they gelded him late it probly isn't him

I think you have a beautiful horse. Your dedicated and on the right track.

Halfpass

His racing name is different. I didn't like it, had no personality and so it was changed to Forrest Gump. His Jockeys Papers state Catasauqua. Hes got one race under his belt, and I was luckily able to track down the photographer and have his winning picture framed on my wall!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think if you keep bringing him back the way that you are, that might very well disappear on it's own. I noticed his back left leg doesn't reach quite a far as the right, like he doesn't completely step under himself. That to me says hip or spine, something that could be associated with a bad fall where his back legs went one way and his front went the other way. I would avoid anything with devils claw, and concentrate on a glucosemine and chondrotin based supplement. I have tried many, many supplements. I really like mega-grand flex when I can find it although it is expensive. Next Level joint fluid I had GREAT success with, especially when I stacked it with lubrisyn (like adequine, but smaller more absorb-able molecules), but there is another really good supplement you can order from Western Saddlery that comes in a white bucket. This stuff is not as expensive and really good, I just forget what it's called, I would have to look it up.

Either way, great job! I can hardly wait to see what he looks like when he develops some more muscle in his hind end!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I know you've heard this many times already but...GOD BLESS YOU!!! It just tickles me red when I see people nursing animals back to health. He looks amazing from what you have done for him. You are an amazing person and a great owner. I wish you and your handsome new boy the best luck can give!!!

Welcome to the forum!!! :D

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Wow, you have done a fantastic job with that horse. When you do move to that hilly area, those trail rides you mention will go a long way toward helping his hind end function better. My OTTB also has a little difficulty with is sac area. He can get very tight with his hind legs. At the start of each season, he has to practically zig-zag down hills to avoid any pain. After lots of trail riding on uneven terrain, by mid-summer, he comes down them straight and practically sitting down. For us, getting my muscled up back there went very far toward making him comfortable. Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome!! He has come a long way and still today when I go see him I don't even recognize him. I'm amazed that he's the same horse and mine!!! But he is a good boy with a pleasing attitude and personality.

Thanks also for the suggestions! I plan to just take it slow and see what happens. I dont want to waste a lot of money on vet bills to tell me its a muscle issue, so Id rather see how he reacts to daily work and muscles and see if he gets worse!

I think I've been looking so much for something wrong, that its really hard for me to see anything anymore!! If that makes sense!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I just wanted to announce that Forrest has moved into his new home and the Chiro came out to check him out and after re-aligning him, he was really tight in his lower back and hips, and electro-acupuncture we discovered that his issues are muscle related! So on to rehab to build muscle! So excited!

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
He looks great! Congrats on your work together.

Nice to hear that the issue is muscle related. If the Vitamin E is good for his muscles, just so you know, many health food or bulk stores have this in powder form much cheaper than Walmart and easier to feed in my experience.

And welcome to the forum!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.