The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Just started leasing 2x/wk an 18 yr old QH mare who is REALLY barn sour. If we leave the yard and go out into the field and woods, she really fights to go back, much more so if we aren't with any of her friends. I've been reading up and watching videos of NH, PP and Clinton Anderson - even took a lesson and learned a lot. And the gals at the barn are so friendly and helpful. :)
I'm feeling consumed with this new interest and would like to buy eventually.
Thanks ahead of time for the help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi trailrider from CO
I used to live in CO and did lots of trail riding there. so many gorgeous places to ride!!! what area do you live in? i used to live in Castle Rock.

Barn sour is a terrible thing to get them over at that age. sounds like she has gotten away with it a long long time. one thing that helps, take her for lots of little walks, you leading her. find a spot and let her graze, just relax. let her look forward to trips with you. then ride a bit, get off and let her graze a while. most horses learn to love these little jaunts and learn to depend more on you.

(then later if you really have to battle her, she will take it better)

good luck.

hopefully you can find a riding buddy to go out with you until she learns that you aren't one of those riders that just lets her go back to the barn when SHE decides. you and your riding buddy can go short ways out and YOU decide when to turn around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I live in Colorado Springs, NW, 5 minutes from the land owned by the Flying W Ranch. There are hundreds of pasture and treed land, next to national forest - BEAUTIFUL - and I have just ridden in the winter! Can't wait for spring, summer and fall. Did you like CR? I like that area.

Those tips are great. I'm going to do that. I want to make this fun for her, not all work!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i am jealous. i LOVED Castle Rock. always thought the springs would be a good place to live too. sounds like you have tons of great riding space. do you belong to a club? i used to belong to Parker Trail Riders (in Parker). we had a blast. went camping/trail riding in the mountains , and had fun shows and clinics. ah i miss those days

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey all you Coloradoans... I too live in Colorado, but up in the Fort Collins area. Horse riding, owning and being around is totally consuming, almost addicting. Welcome to the fabulous hobby/lifestyle :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
well, I'm not from colorado.. but I thought I'd welcome you anyway.
"Welcome!"

Glad you're getting into horses. they sure are addictive. =)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts