The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Take off the sheepskin please..

Its needed to see the saddle placement better and then do the pictures as you have done in the past, again...both sides, front & back...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Nice pad!!

Take off the breastcollar too. It's kinda blocking the view.

I missed the first thread so can you post pictures of the bare saddle without the pad?

Reactions: loosie

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Just had a look at the breast collar after seeing Beau's comment - I've never seen one attach way up at the pommel like that - when it comes into use going up hills, wouldn't that pull the saddle down hard on her shoulders? Perhaps others with exp of that type will correct me, but that seems like what would happen & I'd be wanting it to attach from down low on the bars or even at the girth point.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
That's a pulling collar. I've never had one pull the saddle down onto a horse's shoulders ... I've used them before when a horse gets shoulder rubs easily from the regular breastcollar style, or when I'm going on long trail rides and want to free up the horse's shoulders climbing steep trails, etc. They're really good for keeping the saddle in place without restricting shoulder movement, which I've noticed a lot of western breastcollars do. You used to see western saddles where the breastcollar attached to the rigging, but nowadays you're starting to see a lot of western saddles built with D rings just under the swells to attach the breastcollar a bit higher and counteract the shoulder restriction.

-- Kai

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
ratlady...you did ask about the pad, which I like.
I think it gives you enough coverage without being to much coverage.
I like how it compliments the saddle in color.
I think it also helped the fit problem you were having but the sheepskin is hard for me to see the marks I use clearly with it on.
The best question is how does the horse ride in it?
Do you feel the shoulders being free-moving, or constricted?
Do you see or feel a negative reaction on the back when you are done riding?
That is quite the pulling collar....
Are you really riding terrain that is that strenuous for the horse?
I haven't ridden trails like that requiring that kind of equipment in years and use to love it, the scenery seen from such highs and steams to navigate from low...
This time of the year it should be exquisite to see the trees changing their colors...sigh.
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will take more pictures with the sheepskin and collar removed next time I'm at the barn. Though the sheepskin may have to stay semi attached, I put some gnarly knots in it last time while putting it on.

To answer your question about the pulling collar, the reason why I have it is because my front d rings are very flimsy little things that I do not trust to hold anything in place, let alone something potentially weight bearing. The saddle rigging itself is too low for a breastcollar to attach to, and would rub the point of his shoulders, no matter how contoured it was.

He honestly doesn't really need the collar per se, but he's very mutton withered and the collar being there means I don't have to do the girth up as tight. It did come in handy when there were some fallen trees in his pasture that needed removal though!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Just had a look at the breast collar after seeing Beau's comment - I've never seen one attach way up at the pommel like that - when it comes into use going up hills, wouldn't that pull the saddle down hard on her shoulders? Perhaps others with exp of that type will correct me, but that seems like what would happen & I'd be wanting it to attach from down low on the bars or even at the girth point.
I just got my first pulling collar less than a year ago and they are actually pretty amazing! The horse can put weight into it while going up a steep hill and then when you are back on flat ground it is loose again around his shoulders. It's now definitely my preferred style and I am dreaming of getting one with tooling to match one of my saddles. :smile:

I will even modify a regular breast collar to make it more like a pulling collar (by making attachments to my swells and using a neck strap) and it has the same great benefits as a pulling collar.

I thought along the same lines you did.......won't that dip the tree into the horse's shoulders? But for whatever reason, it doesn't seem to work that way. But it keeps the breast collar off the points of the shoulders. Plus, I like the look. :cool: Really, what you are doing is making a western breast collar fit more like an english breast collar!

Ratlady, what brand is your pulling collar?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got some pictures! The pad placement is a little wonky, but the saddle should be in the right place, that's where it wants to sit. The first two pictures are with the cinch done loosely, the second pictures are with no cinch at all, and the third is what it looks like naked.

And for those asking, my pulling collar is from Teskeys. I've bought a few leather goods from them, and their quality has always been very good for the price. The pad in question is a 5 star, 1/2 inch thick.

Now if someone could tell me where to get a nice pair of tapaderos to attach to my stirrups, I'm all ears.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts