The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s New Year’s Eve here in the Philippines. The Goodewyfe is running errands in town. The hired help is off for the holiday, and I have the ranch to myself.

I decided that it was critter day. The horses got haircuts. Pinatubo was not impressed.

Later, I’ll bathe all the dogs I can catch. After I bathe one, the others figure out what’s going on and get scarce. I think Adobo has already sensed that something is up. She’s acting sketchy.

at midnight, we will go to the balcony of our, as yet, unfinished house. From there, we should be able to see fireworks from two, maybe three different municipalities.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Ah! That’s what I was waiting for - the fotos! (y)(y)

So how did the dog baths go? I’ll bet those were Kodak Moments:p

It will be a Happy New Year for you, by the time you read this🎉🎉🎷🎺🥂

We, in the U.S. still have about 17 hours before we can wave goodbye to 20-20.

My area of the SE will experience slightly above average temps today, so that means an all day rain and possibly a thunderstorm, while those further north may see snow or snow/ice.

Here is hoping 2021 is not the dumpster fire 2020 has been(y):cool:(y):cool:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Love your pictures of the horse haircuts. Beautiful scenery from your balcony hope 2021 brings a great year for you an wife.

Here will be nice weather high 20s sunny. New years day I'll be going riding in the nice fresh snow we got Tuesday night into Weds morning.

Tonight we will have tacos and a big salad. An ring in the new year quitely no big celebration here. Will be lucky to stay awake till midnight haha.

Going to be really nice weather for all next week highs in 30s. Nice break from the single digits an below zero we've been having. Should be able to take off a layer of blankets off my horse next week.

Happy new year 🎉🎉 to all on the forums.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few more hours to go before midnight. I made tolerable progress on the dog baths. I got two and a half out of four done.

Benjie, the overgrown puppy, acted like I was killing him he’s about 45 pounds. It was like wrestling a calf. A squirming, overly flexible calf. I managed to splash some water on him, then a bit of soap, then a bit more water. His undercarriage stayed dry.

Adobo stayed at least 50 feet away from me All day.

The goodewyfe made sauerbraten and roasted potatoes for supper. We carried it, some wine, cake and coffee out to the house site. We’re just going to hang around here on the balcony to midnight. Then we will walk back up to the farmstead.

you folks in the temperate climates are gonna laugh at us. But we’re experiencing a cold front here. The temperature is around 17(c) or so That’s the low, to mid 60’s (f). We are bundled upin our jackets and hats.

But it is a pleasant night here under the full moon.

·
Registered
192 Posts
At our age, early 70's, no more celebrating. Heck, we barely, if at all, stay up to see the new year come in. No more horses, or any other livestock anymore, to feed, break up icy water in 8 degree weather. "Been there, done that!" LOL
Did go over to our boat (in storage) yesterday, when it was warmer in the afternoon, and clean snow off of full cover. Nothing special for New Years Days either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Love the pictures. Nothing going on here tonight, it's hard for me to stay up past 10/11 so 12 may be a struggle! LOL. I'm 29, but I can't stay up late much anymore.
Funny, at 29, I was the one getting parties started. Except for the Navy (Vietnam Era) doing nighttime in-port watches onboard ship, I've always been a 10/11 "to bed" person and up by no later than 7AM.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Happy Hogmanay to everyone.

All of our fire festivals, torch parades, street parties are cancelled. We were asked to celebrate in our homes, not to have parties or to go First Footing to other houses.

I met a with two friends this afternoon to walk their dogs and we exchanged gifts; leaving it to this time of year is an older tradition that some still follow. I gave them white chocolate and cranberry biscuits and I got a scarf in one of my family tartans. We had to cut the walk short though when we got caught in heavy sleet showers.

There's a couple of hours left and the fireworks have already started. Like @PoptartShop I struggle beyond 11pm. It's going to be a cup of tea and then I'm off to bed. I'm so boring this year 🤣 !

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Love the pictures @Cordillera Cowboy !!

Not much happening here, just me and the dogs, hubby is on the east coast loaded for this direction but is at his BFF house for a party tonight. I don't like doing anything on New Years(amateur night), not sure if I can stay up that late tonight..LOL but I am going to try to just to make sure 2020 goes away!
The last few days have been cold, Pogonip formed on the fences, trees, horses tails and manes. Today I think it got up to 29*F with the sun peeking out, felt like a heat wave. I spent a few hours outside piddling around, roped the dummy, petted on the ponies.

Happy New Year to y'all!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I think it’s 2021 all over the world by now. Happy New Year all. I enjoy hearing how y’all arE marking the new year.

I’m glad I don’t usually have to deal with actual cold weather. The fireworks here were impressive.

We have a panoramic view across the valley. The municipalities of Bayombong, Solano, Villaverde, and Bagabag sprawl out before us, with crop lands between us and them. Private fireworks are illegal here, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone. They started around 11:00 PM. At midnight, There were more, and the official fireworks from each municipality joined in, higher and bigger.

Villaverde seemed to run out of ammo about 10 minutes in. But they stayed in the celebration with what seemed like hundreds of motorcycles revving their engines.

The display lasted for nearly an hour. A mountain ridge blocks our view of the municipality of Bambang. But we could still see the flashes reflected off of the low lying clouds.

Overall, an impressive spectacle. But I’m happy I’m not down there amongst it all.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Caledonian . I loved hearing of your gift giving walk. Could you tell us more about the tradition of first footing?

@COWCHICK77. You are the second person I’ve heard referring to New Year’s Eve as amateur night. A fitting description I think.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Happy New Year wishes! I hope everyone stays safe in 2021. As predicted I didn't manage to stay awake😀.

@Caledonian . I loved hearing of your gift giving walk. Could you tell us more about the tradition of first footing?
First-footing is supposed to ensure good luck for the next year. The first person to set foot in your house after midnight should be a tall, dark-haired man carrying symbolic gifts - coal, shortbread, whisky... They think it comes from a thousand years ago when a tall, blond-haired man arriving at your door, carrying a weapon, meant that you were being invaded by Vikings.

I like giving gifts at Hogmanay as well, although it's dying out. Christmas as a festival was banned for about five hundred years until the 1950s, so people celebrated at other times and it mixed in with older beliefs. My parent's generation placed more emphasis around Hogmanay.

The celebrations in your area sound wild! I think I would avoid them as well.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Caledonian Thanks for that description. Those vikings could be a bit pesky. I am a bit surprised that Christmas celebrations were banned for so long. I didn’t think the effects of the religious upheavals of 500 years ago would last so long. Those were the same conflicts that sent my own ancestors first to Ireland, then to America.

I did spend New Year’s Eve In town a few years ago. Our house took a couple direct hits from bottle rockets. But no damage. Usually, we spend New Year’s in Japan with our son and his family. I much prefer that. It’s quiet there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts