The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I am a lifetime horse lover first time owner. I have two quarter horses one mare and one gelding. Im pretty sure the gelding Charlie is testing me. I am by no means a rider either. He is 10 y/0 with a big motor. I am just learning EVERYTHING! So any and all riding pre-riding advice is welcomed! What do i need to do before getting on him? He turns circle and wants to go right back to the starting point.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Find a competent instructor that will work with you both.

Not meaning that in a rude way but as a first time horse owner you already sound like you are in over your head. That isn't uncommon and if you are serious enough to ask questions then you are ahead of many. Having help doesn't make you any less of a horse person just makes you smart. It can mean the difference between being a lifelong happy horse owner and someone that used to own horses.

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
I have to agree. It's something that one really needs to have a foundation learned in person, face to face, initially. Once you have some of this under your belt, we on the internet can perhaps give suggestions on how to improve your horsemanship, but right now I think there are just too many possible variables to say what is best to do to correct this behavior.

I hope you can find some good help in your area. Best of luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts