The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So those of you who have seen my Thread in Horse Confo, I bought a buttermilk buckskin filly. She is a registered Quarter Horse. She is coming right along and is getting settled in. She is an absolute doll! She's got the looks and brains! Her reg name is Dakota Sugar Belle, and her stable name is Belle. Ever since I saw her pictures I fell in love with her and her owners happened to drop her price into my price range as a winter special sale. I couldnt get up there fast enough to pick her up. lol
She was a little nervy up at her previous home, and didnt really want to lead unless you zigzagged her (when she relaxed she lead better) but she hadnt been messed with for a while. But after a couple days of having her home she has settled and has been a sweet girl to work with. We have issues of respecting space but we're working on that along with desensitizing but now she is pretty awesome on the lead (when she isnt walking on my heels lol) She moves when i ask and stops when i stop, doesnt push or try to walk off and if she spooks she doesnt try to drag me- in fact once she feels pressure on the lead she stops moving away thus my arm doesnt get ripped off. :wink: I'm falling more in love with this filly every day :D

Here are some pictures!

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Eep! It's so FLUFFEH!!

·
Super Moderator
27,067 Posts
absolutely darling.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Sounds like a good deal all the way around. Looks, good temperament, and a fast learner! What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She was definitely a good deal all around!
Practiced blanketing with Belle today. She was scared of it at first but couldnt blame her, it was big, made weird noises, and it moved! Definitely was gonna eat her. ;)
We took it slow, let her sniff it and let her see that yes it moved and makes strange noises but it wasnt going to hurt her. I rubbed her with it and laid it in a pile arcross her back and aranged it on her until she didnt care about it. Dropped it, drug it on the ground and let her step on and around it until she was comfortable with that too. After an hour or maybe a little more, I was able to throw it gently on her and got her partially strapped in.... it was too big to strap in all the way. I consider this a big step forward in her desensitization as I doubt she has had much done or at least not lately, and the fact now that she is allowing something to drape on her without being bothered is awesome! We ended today on a good note.

And then I got a message from my hubby saying that he went out before dinner to visit with belle and she came up to him and gave him snuggles! This is the first time she had anyone else besides me go out to her alone to visit with her, so it was great to hear that she is friendly with "strangers". And while my hubby is not exactly horse crazed like myself, he says he just fell in love with her. It made me happy to hear that. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.