The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here's my newest drawing, done at school this morning on my breaks and while videos were playing that I'd already watched at home, lol.
I don't particularly like the eye..Not to mention it was just on the back of a worksheet we did two weeks ago, so I couldn't get the texture I would with sketch paper. I also wish I would've went a bit more off the picture than just winging it, but I'm not really allowed to have my phone out, haha.
But all in all, for what it is, I think it turned out pretty nice. The teacher laughed at it when I had just the lines sketched out (granted, it looked like she had a mustache above her eye, LOL). I did get compliments from two of the guys in class though.:)

So, anyone have any critique or comments? Just keep in mind it was with a mechanical pencil (no eraser at all) and on slick printer paper, lol.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry if my critique is a little harsh but I like to be quite honest!
I think you've done a lovely job considering the circumstances! You shade really well and I love the detail you put into the eye. My thoughts are that it wouldn't hurt to add more shading and darker areas on the "under" side of the horse which will give the drawing more depth and more realism. The anatomy of the head shot isn't totally accurate, although I understand you didn't have a reference! The more you keep drawing and studying reference photos, the greater your knowledge of the horse will become. Keep practicing and learn from each piece you do! Well done and happy drawing!
I hope this helps in one way or another! :)

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a few more I did in class. Now, I wouldn't call them realistic, but not completely cartoon either. Not sure what catagory I'd put them in, honestly.

I don't usually use references at all and these are what I usually end up with in 10-15 minutes or so.

I have done a few with references and I'll dredge them up when I get a chance to post them. They're usually a lot more detailed and shaded where the light point would make shadows.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts