The Horse Forum banner
381 - 400 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Thank you! There are a couple harness shops nearby but I will pass that info along to my wife. She is using borrowed equipment now but eventually will need to buy. I didn't know Pony pulled a cart. Is that in your journal?
I trained him to long line and to pull stuff, then we had an incident with pulling the tire that went really badly, and we've only done it sporadically since then. Maybe when I get them at home we'll have more time to work on it. There's so many things to do with him and not enough time to do them all.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
I trained him to long line and to pull stuff, then we had an incident with pulling the tire that went really badly, and we've only done it sporadically since then. Maybe when I get them at home we'll have more time to work on it. There's so many things to do with him and not enough time to do them all.
I'm sorry that Pony had a bad time. He is such a happy guy. It's true when you have horses at home, you can just walk out and do stuff with them but there are so many chores that go along with it, that the time just vanishes. I wouldn't have it any other way,though.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #383 ·
We did other non-horse-related stuff for the past week and a half. I really miss a regular training routine.

Anyhow, slowly back into the swing of things. I had a lesson with Nicki yesterday. We trotted serpentines with and without stirrups and I had to trot around with no hands on the reins! Apparently, I'm a control freak and I like to ride with hands on the reins. I reluctantly let go and I trusted Nicki to do the right thing and she did! I could turn her with my body. It was really a neat experience just letting go and relaxing and riding.
I am supposed to practice in the round pen here at home.

I really enjoy riding in the arena. I like the space and freedom it offers compared to the cramped, circle of the round pen. I had plans to make one but dropped them when we got busy with other projects. I may revisit the idea.

Treats and mama worked a bit this evening. I worked Jesse on the ground. About on the forehand and haunches. She is improving but still trying to avoid me or anticipate me. Both are not acceptable. We are getting some hot weather lately and training work will be done in the evenings or early mornings. Early mornings are great if I can fit them in but mostly I prefer evening work... if I'm not wiped out from work work during the day. It's supposed to get really hot in the next few days. Today I hid the horses in the barn for the afternoon to give them a break from it. It is a shame to think fondly of the winter in the dead of summer!
Horse Cloud Sky Working animal Gesture

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I've had a riding hiatus too, @TrainedByMares - part work, part existential pothole and not helped by a succession of gloomy cold grey days and not having nice hot showers because of that. Hoping to get in the mood for it again soon, and a warm sunny day would help. Not a hot one like yours though! I love the autumn best, and yours is coming up with better riding weather too. It's good for me to read the kind of stuff you are riding at present because that's the kind of thing I need to work towards riding Julian on the Common when I get around to it, and the reminder is helpful.

What are your main work/maintenance projects at the moment? I just finished gap-filling ceiling lines and small cracks inside the house, fence repairs, and arranging hay delivery and storage; woodwork in the attic needs last third completing and I need to do something about the MDF floor to seal and pretty it as an acceptable finish floor. And the windows need cleaning again and the external woodwork on the French doors and entry doors re-finishing. The strainer posts ordering and then putting in. Also hosting on the weekend...no wonder Diogenes lived in a barrel! ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
I've had a riding hiatus too, @TrainedByMares - part work, part existential pothole and not helped by a succession of gloomy cold grey days and not having nice hot showers because of that. Hoping to get in the mood for it again soon, and a warm sunny day would help. Not a hot one like yours though! I love the autumn best, and yours is coming up with better riding weather too. It's good for me to read the kind of stuff you are riding at present because that's the kind of thing I need to work towards riding Julian on the Common when I get around to it, and the reminder is helpful.

What are your main work/maintenance projects at the moment? I just finished gap-filling ceiling lines and small cracks inside the house, fence repairs, and arranging hay delivery and storage; woodwork in the attic needs last third completing and I need to do something about the MDF floor to seal and pretty it as an acceptable finish floor. And the windows need cleaning again and the external woodwork on the French doors and entry doors re-finishing. The strainer posts ordering and then putting in. Also hosting on the weekend...no wonder Diogenes lived in a barrel! ;)
I love the inspiration provided by reading the journals of my favorite people here on hofo ! It is a good reminder of the horse things I could and should be doing. Sometimes, when I read the stories and look at the pictures, I do get jealous of what others are doing. I wish I was right there in the picture. Riding along or helping out on the ground I would jump right in!
Certainly if you keep horses, the work never ends and the chores always get done before any other work gets done so I always have a feeling like timewise I'm behind schedule. The poo needs picked though.

Currently, it's been dry and hot. I asked for dry but that was before we got cattle so now I'm scrambling to get another pasture 'cow ready' with a good three tape fence and high voltage. I love acting more than reacting but those potholes really do slow me down.

@SueC ,hosting means guests correct? Do you test for covid? It would be a shame if someone brought you something that you didn't want.

It seems to me that my perfect guests would love to talk about,spend time with and ride horses and love to help out with things around the farm here. Other intelligent conversation would be welcomed,too! I would treat them as royally as I could!

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
We are on our way home from a vacation, and we stayed at an Air B and B. I’m so confused at the difference of what those things mean. This apartment was in the basement of their home. It was really decorated nice, and it was perfect to go out and come back to a house.

My girls were uncomfortable when they realized the people lived there, but I can’t see the difference from the condos we stayed in during their basketball games. We only saw the husband once, and it was because we couldn’t get the pin to work into the house. He was really nice, although he laughed when he saw my husband and called him Captain, which got his panties in a twist for a few minutes. Lol. He decided he liked him better when he came back down to redo the door lock. I think husband is just really uncomfortable being seen in shorts, and so he related the comment to his dress. We teased him because the guy was also dressed in shorts and a surfer type guy.

I liked it though. Their rules were minimal. “Don’t kick the neighbor’s dog,” made me laugh. Other than that we never saw them though. I do wish there was an extra roll of toilet paper, as we had to go buy some and extra garbage bags.

It would have probably been fun to talk to the owners more. I saw he had a food truck, and I would have loved to have tried his food!

I am happy to be headed home though. It was a super fun trip, but I miss my horses and my dog.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I think he thought it worse because the guy was walking along with me, turned the corner, looked him up and down and laughed before saying “hey captain.” He was a very attractive guy too, which made it worse.

To me he just seemed like a surfer type guy. Odd for the setting, but that’s what he definitely portrayed. Long blonde hair in a man bun, very fit and tan, and younger. Husband finally laughed and said if he saw him again he’d call him Matey.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #390 ·
I think he thought it worse because the guy was walking along with me, turned the corner, looked him up and down and laughed before saying “hey captain.” He was a very attractive guy too, which made it worse.

To me he just seemed like a surfer type guy. Odd for the setting, but that’s what he definitely portrayed. Long blonde hair in a man bun, very fit and tan, and younger. Husband finally laughed and said if he saw him again he’d call him Matey.
Well, he can tell all the guys back home that a hot blonde was calling him ' captain' !!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
@SueC ,hosting means guests correct? Do you test for covid? It would be a shame if someone brought you something that you didn't want.

It seems to me that my perfect guests would love to talk about,spend time with and ride horses and love to help out with things around the farm here. Other intelligent conversation would be welcomed,too! I would treat them as royally as I could!
Yes, we have two guest rooms in the guest wing for people to stay, here's one:

As people have the option of eating with us, which means being in shared indoors spaces for meals, we do have to be careful with infectious diseases. Until March this year we didn't have community transmission of COVID in Western Australia, with very strict border and quarantine rules. 90% of our community was double vaccinated when the border opened in March, but the vaccines we have are based on the Alpha strain, and only offer partial protection for Omicron, and while it does decrease the risk of severe illness and death, doesn't prevent nearly as much long COVID as we would like, with 1 in 20 here getting long COVID after infection, and also a new study showing you can catch Omicron repeatedly and it seems to progressively weaken the immune system with each infection, potentially ending with an HIV-like state, so we really aren't keen to catch this, not to mention I am in a high-risk group because I have a paralysed vocal cord which makes me susceptible to complications from any kind of respiratory infection.

So Brett and I have had two boosters already since our initial two shots last year, and we wear N-95s when in shared indoor spaces with others, or in any crowd situations. House rules are people can't check in with any kind of active respiratory infection and if that happens to a guest I will re-book them later or refund them. Masks in shared spaces except when seated (but not in the guest wing or outdoors). We do social distancing at the table but have a big table where that is not an issue, and we still have great fun with most of our guests - anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers and other deluded or inconsiderate people are not encouraged to book with us.

If there's only one guest staying we waive the mask requirement if we all do an antigen test. My next guest works at a hospital and antigen tests every 48 hours anyway so we'll probably just do that.

Since mask mandates were removed here a month or so ago, hospitalisations have doubled and medical spokespeople are daily calling for their re-introduction, with which we fully agree. We went shopping this afternoon, and I got coughed on at close range by a maskless woman making no attempt at all to stay away from me or cover her cough - not impressed. While I was wearing an N-95, they aren't perfect and my eyes were exposed, so if I catch anything I will know whom to thank. Minutes later we saw a clearly very sick maskless old guy wheezing and sneezing all over the contents of the meat refrigerator and spreading his contagion far and wide. We brought him to the attention of management, who were wearing masks themselves and lamented that while there weren't mask mandates there was little they could do other than ask people nicely.

It's a bit different in the medical practices, hospitals and aged care, where masks can still be enforced. The surgery my husband works at is very strict and keeps anyone with respiratory infections in their cars to be seen there. Masks on everyone in the building at all times. The other day two people walked in maskless and declared they had COVID - to the astonishment of the desk staff, who handed them masks, ushered them out of the building, and disinfected surfaces immediately. They had just been shopping maskless. Every day over 50 people in Australia are dying of this thing and hundreds are getting chronic illness from it, and a proportion of people can't be bothered to wear masks to protect themselves and others, let alone stay home when coughing and sneezing - this is why we need mandates re-introduced. It gives me a very low opinion of people if they can't care enough for fellow citizens and struggling hospital staff to do something as simple as wear a mask and wear it properly. The new incoming strain of Omicron is as contagious as measles and one person in a crowd can spread it to dozens of others.

We are on our way home from a vacation, and we stayed at an Air B and B. I’m so confused at the difference of what those things mean. This apartment was in the basement of their home. It was really decorated nice, and it was perfect to go out and come back to a house.

I liked it though. Their rules were minimal. “Don’t kick the neighbor’s dog,” made me laugh. Other than that we never saw them though. I do wish there was an extra roll of toilet paper, as we had to go buy some and extra garbage bags.
We started with minimal rules but had to add things after strange experiences, like those Canadian girls who sprayed the whole room with some kind of air freshener before they left. Smelt like toilet deodorant, just vile, and had to wash and air all the bedding multiple times before we could even think of hosting people in that room again...

You really should have been given spare toilet paper! Make a note to him when reviewing. You don't have to put it in the public section if you don't want to, there's also a "private note to host" part that can be used if you prefer. ;)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #394 ·
Yesterday Nicki was giving me sass. I must have done something wrong because she was not happy with me. I figured she may be cycling.

Today was lesson day. Warming up with circles and serpentines at the trot,everything seemed fine. Then we loped. Buck buck buck! We loped big circles. Going to the left was better than going to the right. At one point, Nicki,trying to run out of the arena, almost loped us into a fencepost! F! I yelled it out loud and immediately felt bad for the neighbors.
I could not seem to keep myself from being stiff and to keep my arms from rising upward, especially when Nicki would dive hard going to the right. At the trot or loping, she would dive hard and I mean hard, like we were at a 45 degree angle and she would tighten the circle,dropping out of her gait. Near the end of the lesson, I was using the right rein on her neck and holding her head up and I was using leg as much as I could and we had a couple circles at the lope that were a bit better.

Here are a couple pics that Trainer lady took while we were warming up. I think I look stiff in the upper body. My arms seem to be up.
Horse Sky Working animal Bit Helmet
Horse Sky Working animal Saddle Halter
Horse Sky Working animal Bit Horse tack

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Wow! I wonder what crawled under her tail? Every once in a while I figure everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. It does me well, this idea. One bad day, and I let it go entirely. Cash has a similar mindset with me, and lets me get away with a bad day now and then, because it happens on my end too.

It serves me well because I don’t bring it with me. I try and completely let it go. Now, if it is in the next ride I think about it. What is going wrong? What did I change? What is this horse getting burned out on?

If I was your trainer, I’d have had you get one good thing and get off and ride Jesse. On days like those, I feel like backwards is the only direction you go. Of course, at work a bad day is just drawn out the whole day because there isn’t another option, but in the arena that is what I do. I do something really simple they are good at (not quitting in the direct middle of an argument, but say as soon as Niki was loping even half relaxed), and then I call it quits until the next day.

My parents taught me that. I can’t remember what they used to say about it, but I know it came from them.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Wow! I wonder what crawled under her tail? Every once in a while I figure everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. It does me well, this idea. One bad day, and I let it go entirely. Cash has a similar mindset with me, and lets me get away with a bad day now and then, because it happens on my end too.

It serves me well because I don’t bring it with me. I try and completely let it go. Now, if it is in the next ride I think about it. What is going wrong? What did I change? What is this horse getting burned out on?

If I was your trainer, I’d have had you get one good thing and get off and ride Jesse. On days like those, I feel like backwards is the only direction you go. Of course, at work a bad day is just drawn out the whole day because there isn’t another option, but in the arena that is what I do. I do something really simple they are good at (not quitting in the direct middle of an argument, but say as soon as Niki was loping even half relaxed), and then I call it quits until the next day.

My parents taught me that. I can’t remember what they used to say about it, but I know it came from them.
I did not bring Jesse with me today @Knave ! We did end on some figure eights at the trot then the walk which went well. I tried to get a couple of decent circles to the right at the lope and I thought they went reasonably okay but Trainer lady did not.

When stuff goes wrong , I need to stay loose and handle it calmly and quickly, not swear and stop breathing ! Lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Dang! It’s too bad she wasn’t there. I wish I could remember what my parents word was for those days. You have to remember Dad made really successful horses, and even he still had those days. It was a lesson I think hard learned, and it did him well when he learned it too.

Everyone has a hard time staying loose and relaxed when things are going wrong. It’s a mental game, but trust me everyone struggles with it. Sometimes, if a horse has to be rode, we just change tactics. We move them outside and just go lope down a long dirt rode. Sometimes avoiding the battle is far better than even winning it. Anytime you have an argument, there will be things you go backwards on. Some you just have to have, like the bad day that isn’t just a bad day. Then you just have to really have a plan. Of course, that plan needs to be fluid, but you need to be thoughtful rather than just reactive. Then, you can also gauge what mistakes you are making for correction later.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #400 ·
Dang! It’s too bad she wasn’t there. I wish I could remember what my parents word was for those days. You have to remember Dad made really successful horses, and even he still had those days. It was a lesson I think hard learned, and it did him well when he learned it too.

Everyone has a hard time staying loose and relaxed when things are going wrong. It’s a mental game, but trust me everyone struggles with it. Sometimes, if a horse has to be rode, we just change tactics. We move them outside and just go lope down a long dirt rode. Sometimes avoiding the battle is far better than even winning it. Anytime you have an argument, there will be things you go backwards on. Some you just have to have, like the bad day that isn’t just a bad day. Then you just have to really have a plan. Of course, that plan needs to be fluid, but you need to be thoughtful rather than just reactive. Then, you can also gauge what mistakes you are making for correction later.
So ,that got me thinking... would it make sense to always haul both horses in to each lesson?

381 - 400 of 441 Posts