The Horse Forum banner
401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I don’t know. It’s probably rare for Niki to have a bad day, right? I usually have both Cash and Queen out, only because they both need ridden. To be honest, I haven’t been putting the time into Cash I should lately, and now I’ve been so sick…

He’ll start going consistent though, because we’ve put our entry fees in for a team branding. $400! Wowza, no wonder I get so nervous. Queen will go along beside because husband and I are sharing Cash for the event, and sis will borrow Zeus from her sister.

I digress. I mean to say that since I usually have both of them out, I always start with Queen, because she is at such an important time frame. If she is having a particularly bad day, which isn’t the same with a horse like her, because she usually wakes up with an attitude, so I haven’t called one on her yet, I would just get something good and get on Cash. Since Cash rarely has a bad attitude, if he does I am more likely to call it on him.

It might be nice to have another option there for you, but I wouldn’t count on having a bad ride with Niki almost ever. Jesse might be more like Queen, and at a point that you can’t be as forgiving of a bad day unless it was unique.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
I don’t know. It’s probably rare for Niki to have a bad day, right? I usually have both Cash and Queen out, only because they both need ridden. To be honest, I haven’t been putting the time into Cash I should lately, and now I’ve been so sick…

He’ll start going consistent though, because we’ve put our entry fees in for a team branding. $400! Wowza, no wonder I get so nervous. Queen will go along beside because husband and I are sharing Cash for the event, and sis will borrow Zeus from her sister.

I digress. I mean to say that since I usually have both of them out, I always start with Queen, because she is at such an important time frame. If she is having a particularly bad day, which isn’t the same with a horse like her, because she usually wakes up with an attitude, so I haven’t called one on her yet, I would just get something good and get on Cash. Since Cash rarely has a bad attitude, if he does I am more likely to call it on him.

It might be nice to have another option there for you, but I wouldn’t count on having a bad ride with Niki almost ever. Jesse might be more like Queen, and at a point that you can’t be as forgiving of a bad day unless it was unique.
I understand what you are saying. Just treat it as a bump in the road and don't get too excited about it...unless it becomes regular.

I hope you feel better soon! How much time do you have to get Cash ready for the branding? Lol it seems like $400 is alot of money and it isn't these days. If you are putting gas or diesel in your tanks these days you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
That is true. It still feels like a lot of money to me, and it’s always been the price. I guess it would make sense if it inflated too.

Um, we have 11 days. I am pretty sick today still. I walked out like maybe I’d catch a horse, but I’m still thinking I won’t… we need to practice big time. Husband and my oldest roped one day, and I ran ground. I jumped on Queen and was going to rope, but I kinda chickened out. It was super funny actually. The calves have only been roped that time, so they buck and beller and it is a heck of a racket, and you have to be watching really close because they’ll tie up your horse easy when they’re like that.

So, I pulled my rope and went over like I was going to rope this calf, but I decided against taking the chance of getting Queen in a wreck her first time heeling behind a header. I threw my loop down and started coiling up, and wasn’t really riding and she took off and got into position like “okay, rope him.” I pulled her off and we were all dying laughing. Husband said I let her down, because she just wanted me to rope the calf. He was right too!

I couldn’t figure it out for a minute, how she knew where exactly to be and what to do, but then I realized all the practice with the dummy is the same as roping behind a header. So, I was all worried about it and she just wanted to do it. I guess I did let her down.

I want them to be roped a time or two more before I put her in there though. I got General clothes lined bad as a colt, and it was a heck of a mess, and I just don’t want to make the same mistake. I kind of have a fear of that. Once they line out and figure it out it doesn’t really bother me, and it doesn’t really bother me on baby calves, but those bigger guys bucking and bellering and fighting the rope stresses me out big time.

Cash makes me feel really confident. He’s so stinking good. Yet, while we’re sharing it seems I haven’t been on him for any of that. It’s all been Queen. I think she will be amazing in the end.

So, I haven’t done any team branding type roping this year at all! I get really nervous on team sports like that. I start panicking way in advance. It’s a problem for me. Every year I say I won’t do it again, but I always come back. This year I have a new partner. I can’t remember ever having roped with him before, so that makes me really want to practice. I am surprised at the thought we’ve never roped together, because we’ve worked together a lot, but I can’t remember roping together. I think he’s fast. I tend to like a slower handle, but the mare he rides is just overall really fast. It’s going to be something for me to face.

The other thing I’m worried about is sharing my husband’s saddle. I don’t love dallying in it. It has a different style of horn, and it’s really fast. I’m hoping he’ll be willing to rewrap it. He’ll be mad, but he’s got to work with me. He’s better than I am at this game, I think, so he’s the one who should compromise. lol. Plus, he’s using my horse.

One thing that will be good is that I will use Queen when we go to his place for practice. He doesn’t have live cattle, but a really good dummy. That dummy is pulled with a four wheeler. So, Queen will have a couple travel days and be exposed to something entirely new.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
That is true. It still feels like a lot of money to me, and it’s always been the price. I guess it would make sense if it inflated too.

Um, we have 11 days. I am pretty sick today still. I walked out like maybe I’d catch a horse, but I’m still thinking I won’t… we need to practice big time. Husband and my oldest roped one day, and I ran ground. I jumped on Queen and was going to rope, but I kinda chickened out. It was super funny actually. The calves have only been roped that time, so they buck and beller and it is a heck of a racket, and you have to be watching really close because they’ll tie up your horse easy when they’re like that.

So, I pulled my rope and went over like I was going to rope this calf, but I decided against taking the chance of getting Queen in a wreck her first time heeling behind a header. I threw my loop down and started coiling up, and wasn’t really riding and she took off and got into position like “okay, rope him.” I pulled her off and we were all dying laughing. Husband said I let her down, because she just wanted me to rope the calf. He was right too!

I couldn’t figure it out for a minute, how she knew where exactly to be and what to do, but then I realized all the practice with the dummy is the same as roping behind a header. So, I was all worried about it and she just wanted to do it. I guess I did let her down.

I want them to be roped a time or two more before I put her in there though. I got General clothes lined bad as a colt, and it was a heck of a mess, and I just don’t want to make the same mistake. I kind of have a fear of that. Once they line out and figure it out it doesn’t really bother me, and it doesn’t really bother me on baby calves, but those bigger guys bucking and bellering and fighting the rope stresses me out big time.

Cash makes me feel really confident. He’s so stinking good. Yet, while we’re sharing it seems I haven’t been on him for any of that. It’s all been Queen. I think she will be amazing in the end.

So, I haven’t done any team branding type roping this year at all! I get really nervous on team sports like that. I start panicking way in advance. It’s a problem for me. Every year I say I won’t do it again, but I always come back. This year I have a new partner. I can’t remember ever having roped with him before, so that makes me really want to practice. I am surprised at the thought we’ve never roped together, because we’ve worked together a lot, but I can’t remember roping together. I think he’s fast. I tend to like a slower handle, but the mare he rides is just overall really fast. It’s going to be something for me to face.

The other thing I’m worried about is sharing my husband’s saddle. I don’t love dallying in it. It has a different style of horn, and it’s really fast. I’m hoping he’ll be willing to rewrap it. He’ll be mad, but he’s got to work with me. He’s better than I am at this game, I think, so he’s the one who should compromise. lol. Plus, he’s using my horse.

One thing that will be good is that I will use Queen when we go to his place for practice. He doesn’t have live cattle, but a really good dummy. That dummy is pulled with a four wheeler. So, Queen will have a couple travel days and be exposed to something entirely new.
11 days gives you plenty of time but you're right, you don't want to let that other guy down because you didn't practice enough. So the team branding is a header and heeler both on horseback like team roping and someone on the ground to 'brand'?

I keep forgetting that Cash man is your horse because it's been all Queen. What page(s) is his story on in your journal? He is from the BLM too,correct?
I think I understand about you letting Queen down... when Nicki and I were riding down the mail trail, I got scared and hopped off because all the big smooth rocks on the trail were soaking wet and slippery with condensation from the humidity and it was steep. She looked at me and started pawing like she was saying ' come on we can do this!' I got back on and we did...until it got real steep again. But like you said, you don't want to have a wreck and then they shy away next time!

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I'm sorry you're not well, @Knave - get better soon! 🖤 Great advice re the one good thing and end-lesson on a good note, rather than flogging a dead horse on a bad day. I read Tom Roberts' horse books before I started training horses and he says the same. Also to repeat again next time rather than prolong. Works for me. If I have a bad day I don't ride but that's probably not an option for you mostly?

@TrainedByMares, we all have bad days. If you're feeling rigid maybe stretch your back before riding? Other stretches may help too.

If you do take both mares they can keep each other company and the spare can have a hay net. Also trailer practice, so why not?

And I was thinking, re some visitors you had - do you have a Texas Longhorn? If not, it seems like a good investment in the future. ;) Or maybe you can get creative and carve some horn extensions for your favourite cow? 😇

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
I'm sorry you're not well, @Knave - get better soon! 🖤 Great advice re the one good thing and end-lesson on a good note, rather than flogging a dead horse on a bad day. I read Tom Roberts' horse books before I started training horses and he says the same. Also to repeat again next time rather than prolong. Works for me. If I have a bad day I don't ride but that's probably not an option for you mostly?

@TrainedByMares, we all have bad days. If you're feeling rigid maybe stretch your back before riding? Other stretches may help too.

If you do take both mares they can keep each other company and the spare can have a hay net. Also trailer practice, so why not?

And I was thinking, re some visitors you had - do you have a Texas Longhorn? If not, it seems like a good investment in the future. ;) Or maybe you can get creative and carve some horn extensions for your favourite cow? 😇
Those longhorns are intimidating! I saw some for sale when I was looking and I was like ' uhh no' ! That Simon guy you photoshopped into your longhorn picture is just as intimidating. Lol

You are right about the stretching. Trainer lady tells me I should be stretching every day, even doing yoga! Yoga, ha! I will begin a stretching regimen today.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
He has a tendency to scowl on the red carpet, @TrainedByMares, but he's an excellent bassist without the rock star ego. Also I read somewhere he did ludicrous miles on his bicycle while the band he's in were recording an album. We made up a series of stories for fun once in which he and his friends had encounters with aliens and craft beer. 😇

I'm just beginning to stretch again when I remember - Pilates is excellent stuff. Yoga too but Pilates is a killer for getting the core strong.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I’ll look and see what page he is introduced on. I think it’s hard to remember he’s mine right now too because he’s been husband’s only horse since last fall. It makes me feel even more negligent of him, but I do remember he is being used quite a bit.

I think it’s probably good for him, to be exposed to different people and styles. He transfers excellently between the two of us, and it doesn’t seem to bother him too much. His only rule is that I catch him first. He will lose his mind with jealousy if I don’t catch him first.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
It’s funny to remember back. On the next page was the first time he fell, and I’m still convinced God worked that out for us.

Trying to find where he showed up I saw on page 50 was when he ran me over! Lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Oh, I forgot to answer your question! Team branding has four competitors per team. Co-Ed requires two women and two men, or a young kid can replace a woman, under 13 or something like that. There are the mens, co-Ed and women’s. (They do have a youth the day before I have to judge this year and it is different).

Rules differ slightly depending on the venue. In this one there are four calves. The first set of ropers rope two calves, and the two on the ground run the ground. They string the calf (flip him and remove the head rope and place it around the front two legs, and if a single heel was caught they remove it and replace it around both hinds). The ropers pull him tight and the brand (a branding iron dipped in paint) is placed. After the first two calves are completely up, the riders swap the ground crew, and they do the next two calves.

There are lots of rules. Like one cannot break from a walk prior to the calves breaking, no roughing the cattle, there are illegal catches and that type of thing, and the ground crew must be in a chalked circle when the calf is not roped completely. The iron cannot be dropped and has to be placed correctly.

The steers are usually pretty decent sized. Last year they were probably 700#s.

It is hard to find women without a team already, because most who are capable are already teamed up. This is part of why I don’t quit. I also like it, once it has started. The days before are hard for me, and the countdown I always am afraid I’ll faint or puke in front of everyone. The worst I’ve done so far was get scolded by a judge for swearing.

I’ve only done one women’s team. I really didn’t want to. It’s not that I don’t have faith of myself on the ground, because I do, but I think I feel even more pressure there. The women’s teams are watched fairly closely.

This year will be the first year my oldest daughter has done it. She’s the other woman on my team, and why I’m not roping with husband. She is a good roper, but she’s always worried about the stress of it. She’s really excited though.

Prior to the branding there is a way to gamble. They sell the teams by auction to the highest bidder. So, you really know who has faith in you. Lol. You also know someone else you let down! The teams who no one thinks will win are put into a group, and a bidder can buy all of those teams in the end. I think some good money gets exchanged there.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Thank you for looking that up! Your journal is the best! Those artsy photo entries that look like paintings are different. At first I'm like 'what?' but I think they are pretty cool. You should put it all in a book ....

I have always been about Queen but the Cash man is so cool. How did you know about him before the auction? Reading about Lucy is interesting too. Since she was with foal when I began reading your current journal entries, I haven't seen much recent about her of course. It will be great to see her back to work.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Oh, I forgot to answer your question! Team branding has four competitors per team. Co-Ed requires two women and two men, or a young kid can replace a woman, under 13 or something like that. There are the mens, co-Ed and women’s. (They do have a youth the day before I have to judge this year and it is different).

Rules differ slightly depending on the venue. In this one there are four calves. The first set of ropers rope two calves, and the two on the ground run the ground. They string the calf (flip him and remove the head rope and place it around the front two legs, and if a single heel was caught they remove it and replace it around both hinds). The ropers pull him tight and the brand (a branding iron dipped in paint) is placed. After the first two calves are completely up, the riders swap the ground crew, and they do the next two calves.

There are lots of rules. Like one cannot break from a walk prior to the calves breaking, no roughing the cattle, there are illegal catches and that type of thing, and the ground crew must be in a chalked circle when the calf is not roped completely. The iron cannot be dropped and has to be placed correctly.

The steers are usually pretty decent sized. Last year they were probably 700#s.

It is hard to find women without a team already, because most who are capable are already teamed up. This is part of why I don’t quit. I also like it, once it has started. The days before are hard for me, and the countdown I always am afraid I’ll faint or puke in front of everyone. The worst I’ve done so far was get scolded by a judge for swearing.

I’ve only done one women’s team. I really didn’t want to. It’s not that I don’t have faith of myself on the ground, because I do, but I think I feel even more pressure there. The women’s teams are watched fairly closely.

This year will be the first year my oldest daughter has done it. She’s the other woman on my team, and why I’m not roping with husband. She is a good roper, but she’s always worried about the stress of it. She’s really excited though.

Prior to the branding there is a way to gamble. They sell the teams by auction to the highest bidder. So, you really know who has faith in you. Lol. You also know someone else you let down! The teams who no one thinks will win are put into a group, and a bidder can buy all of those teams in the end. I think some good money gets exchanged there.
That sounds like a lot of strenuous exercise but alot of fun, if you have a team that works well together. So two ropers,two calves and two grounders are working in the ring at once?

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Thank you!! I did like the artsy photos, but after a while I decided everything is so beautiful that I prefer them unedited. Lucy is an interesting horse. She is my husband’s favorite he’s ever owned, and he loves her so much. This is why we bred her. I don’t know if she’ll come back with her feet being messed up, and it really worries me for him. He gets along well with Cash, but it’s not the same. I understand that for sure.

I bought Cash because Bones was my main horse. We were going after a cow and he dropped a hind leg into a badger hole. It tore his stifle and took him out. I had to have a horse for work. When he came back, he became my oldest’s horse. It was a hard transition for me because I loved him so much, but I’m really happy watching the two of them.

When I bought Bones, General was out. I had to ride Beamer and Pete for a year in replacement, and they were great horses, but I longed for my own. So I really do understand.

Little girl transitioned from Pete, who you don’t know from where you started, to Beamer. Pete had brain cancer or something like that, and we ended up putting him down. So, everything happens for a reason. Cash has been well needed and a good addition to our place. Queen seemed to do the same thing, because who knew Lucy would be out and we would have to make another change?

I hope so much Lucy comes back. She is a cool horse, although we struggle with each other. Lol. She is handy and dependable.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
The four calves are in the ring the whole time, so you just have to not accidentally rope something that’s been branded. Lol. (I did that once! Terrible! My dad had to pull my rope and he wasn’t happy. Lol)

Being in the chalked area on the ground, a horse cannot step over. Sometimes you are trying to not get hit and also not step out of the line! Lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
It is a pretty fun event to watch. It’s wild, so that makes it fun. Watching people get their butts kicked on the ground is pretty entertaining. Sometimes there are bad wrecks, and those I don’t like seeing. A good friend of ours came very close to dying in a wreck in there one year. Sometimes the later teams will have someone who’s drank to much, and they get bucked off or fall off.

Before I was married, I was dating this guy on a team who’s member fell off drunk and threw a little temper tantrum right there in front of everyone. He was so mad and there was a fight. That was pretty entertaining.

It’s cool to see some of the talent on the teams. Some people can throw the most amazing shots. The horses are usually very good that are entered too. It’s like getting to see the best of the best ranch horses around all in one place. People only take their very best, and most horses are old and wise. I like that. So many grey faces are out there.

The first year I took Cash I had to; he was my only horse. He was so young, and he made a mistake, but only one and it was on the women’s team and he blew my shot because he spooked of a hat on the ground. No big deal. Then, some woman comes up and tells me how awful he is and that he cheated me, and I knocked her down a peg with his age. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
I don’t like seeing people get hurt either, but it happens often enough at real brandings too. I’ve seen lots of wrecks. One thing I really like about team branding, and ranch rodeo events in general, is that they display skills we actually use. It shows what it’s like, and the kind of skills required. The horses are doing things they do on a regular basis, and the people too.

There used to be some really cool events, although many have been banned or looked down upon anymore. The wild cow milking was crazy! You take a wild range cow, then they have to get her milked out into a cup. The wild horse race they let out a bronc, you had to get it mugged, saddled, and race to the finish line. Those were my favorites to watch.

There is still the trailer loading contest and some others. When I was a kid I followed my dad around and watched him compete at all those things. His team often won everything.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
I don’t like seeing people get hurt either, but it happens often enough at real brandings too. I’ve seen lots of wrecks. One thing I really like about team branding, and ranch rodeo events in general, is that they display skills we actually use. It shows what it’s like, and the kind of skills required. The horses are doing things they do on a regular basis, and the people too.

There used to be some really cool events, although many have been banned or looked down upon anymore. The wild cow milking was crazy! You take a wild range cow, then they have to get her milked out into a cup. The wild horse race they let out a bronc, you had to get it mugged, saddled, and race to the finish line. Those were my favorites to watch.

There is still the trailer loading contest and some others. When I was a kid I followed my dad around and watched him compete at all those things. His team often won everything.
Wow! Those sound awesome! Hearing about this stuff makes me think I wasted my life away with cars! Lol! By 'mugging' do you mean a halter or bridle?

401 - 420 of 441 Posts