The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you ride at night? What sort of gear do you have for that? I have a group of friends who want to go out for a moonlight ride on the trails, not on roadways. I don't know what I should have for this ride. Also it will be getting darker sooner coming up, if I am riding in the evening around the neighborhood do you have any recommendations of gear?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Good LED light you can put on helmet and reflective vest. That's what we use when we were doing night rides.

Light pictured with new batteries in it was bright and could see real good. We moved along at a fast trot. Did ride trails I knew the terrain real well. Horses did fine went through water. Rode along dirt road dealt with traffic no issues.

Mind you I'm riding a young horse just turned 6 years old. He's got all kinds of trail experience under him now. He does 98 percent of the leading.

Riding at night is really fun, having a moonlight ride is really cool. If moonlight is bright enough can turn off headlamps.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
I do for calving in the late winter and early spring.

If there's moonlight, I don't use a flashlight or head lamp until I'm stopped and checking a cow.

When I do wear a head lamp it's around my neck.

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
There are all sorts of reflective gear for both the horse and the rider.

I have ear, tail and leg wraps that are reflective. I wore a yellow, construction vest.

You also want something on your horse for a couple of reasons:

1. In case you do have to cross a road or ride down a road for a few hundred feet.

2. Perish the thought — in case you and the horse part company and it gets away from you.

https://www.horze.eu/reflective-horse-wear

I have never bought from this ^^^^ company. I posted the link so you can see what’s available. I know Valley Vet sells some reflective stuff for horses.

Maybe someone that has bought from them can give them a review :)

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
For competitions, I ride with a lantern-type light attached low on the breastcollar and a headlamp with a red light and white light option on my helmet. I tend to get very motion-sick in the dark if there is a distinct circle of light bouncing around (even when medicated), so the lantern helps with that. I keep my headlamp on the red setting unless I need to check something, as the red light doesn't interfere with night vision.

My gear looks like this (the blue strap is the headlamp, the black strap is my helmetcam):

And looks like this in the dark:

There is also a glowstick tied across the back of the saddle, so we are visible to things behind us as well.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Any light you wear will interfere with your night vision unless it is a red/black light. I wear a headlamp at night for doing chores in the dark. It is impossible to wear if you don't put it on the red setting. Otherwise you will get hundreds of bugs flying in your face.

If I'm riding at night, I usually go without any light because my horse sees better than I do. I do have a light with me on my phone, to use as needed.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
We used to go on full moon rides every once in a while. Light really wasn't needed with a full moon and good weather, it's actually quite bright out. You could consider reflective anything for the horse in case you parted company and definitely have something reflective for you as well if going anywhere near roads. I didn't do that but we were on 400 totally enclosed acres and the horse would just go back to her pasture if she left at all.

It is kind of nice to be out with the nightlife sometimes and it's easier on the horses in the dead of summer.

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
I've done full moon rides or drives in mostly open areas, few trees. Lovely time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I was younger, I always looked forward to moon lit rides. I liked the moon to be bright enough that I could see and not put my horse in danger. I rode the same dirt road around the farm land across from my house. It was about 6 miles long. My Mom never told me no, and she knew how much I loved it.
The moon gives you plenty of light to ride and the horse enjoys it as well. You can see so well. I never carried a flash light as once you turn it on, you lose your night vision for a while, and you have to let your eyes adjust once again.

I am not so sure that I would ride around cars that come close to my horse. People have lost respect for others, and people fly by with gutted mufflers to see how much noise they can make.

I would only ride a trail that I knew as when the sun is not out, there are dangers in the ground for your horse. I would hate for my horse to step in a grass covered hole.

I miss those moon lit rides so much. Maybe I can get back into it later on.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
When I was a little girl the girl next door had a horse. She was invited to a moonlight horse riding birthday party. Every guest was to bring a guest as it was a ride double trail ride on a full moon night. I remember being so happy to ride up in the hills. Then suddenly, up ahead under some trees a bunch of white things came flying out of there in all directions like spooks. The girls screamed and the horses ran, but not very far. It turned out to be a flock of sheep.

Later, when I had my own horse I would climb out the window at night and ride in the hills. I did this a lot. Dad was walking on the patio one day and stopped under my bedroom window and said Why is this rosebush always broken?

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I love moonlight rides. My mare is an OTTB so she definitely worked in the dark during her racing career. It's old hat to her, so she's no different at night to how she is during the day.
My gelding hasn't been on a moonlight ride before but I WILL get him out at night at some point.

You need:
Head lamp
ALL THE HIGH VIS IN THE WORLD (you literally cannot have too much - same for road rides fwiw but that's another thread)
Someone to know where you are going and when to expect you back OR a smart watch with fall detection turned ON (this will send your GPS location to emergency services if it detects a fall and you don't tell it you're ok)

It's nice to have:
Lights ON your horse, such as an LED breastplate or tail light
Company!
A gun with an infrared sight if you ride in an area where there are large predators (but ONLY if you can safely shoot off your horse)

Above all, know your horse, TRUST your horse (they see better than we do at night, they'll know if there's danger well before you do), and HAVE FUN!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts