The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an arena, just a thirty foot round pen. I have so much I want to do with my horse, training and riding wise. But I end up getting so frustrated because my horse doesn't work well in the thirty foot round pen and I think I make things worse. Any things I can do to move along with my training with such a small round pen and some pasture (hills and not that great footing) ?

Thanks in advance,

Rachel

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
You can do everything you can in an arena in open areas.

I don't like it as much though, I love arenas.

I guess it depends on what sort of thing you are doing, you can do all basic lateral stuff in a round yard, then work on your canter outside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can do everything you can in an arena in open areas.

I don't like it as much though, I love arenas.

I guess it depends on what sort of thing you are doing, you can do all basic lateral stuff in a round yard, then work on your canter outside.
Well I want to work on her headset for hunter under saddle and ranch and working on rounding up and jumping and that just does work as well on grass cause she gets hyper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Arenas?

I have a round pen and an outdoor arena. The round pen I usually use for lunging and up to a trot. My arena is closed for maintenance right now so I'm using a paddock. We have 5 paddocks and in the winter the horses are moved to closer pastures so we don't have to walk all the way to feed/water. If you have more pastures than you use, try using them.
:runninghorse2:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you have a trailer and they allow it you could take your horse to the local fairgrounds to work your horse in the outdoor arena. It's pretty common practice in the Midwest although if you use it a lot you have to get permission from the fair board and stay away during fair season.

Too bad you don't have any flat ground out in an un-used pasture. I have had some of my clients create makeshift unfenced "arenas" by marking a lunge line and lunging a horse in one size circle for several days. (Or you can get a friend do the circles :D but that would have to be a really good friend) Then lunge the horse in a circle that touches the one your horse's hooves have already worn down. You end up with a big round figure 8 that you can link with 2 straight lines. Once your horse has made the paths so that you can see them, it's pretty easy to dig a little to take the grass out and end up with an oval. It's not a terribly fancy way to get a work area but it does help you learn to work your horse without the luxury of a fence.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I train all my horses out in the open, and I've found that if your horse is doing well out in the open, they will be way nicer when you do get to the arena.

All of the things you said you are planning on doing are oh so do-able on grass, if its free of holes or you filled them in.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I've always trained in the open and always will. I find an indoor allows us to be lazy and not expose our horses to much or let's us not demand 110% respect.

All the horses I've had and trained in the open have been better behaved all around because of the exposure. So no arena = no problem!!! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts