The Horse Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
All the people that have seen horses that will happily tie to a single point but have a meltdown on cross ties will tell you otherwise.
Cross ties put a lot of restriction on how much the horse can move its head from side to side and step forwards or backwards so they make some horses feel 'trapped'
I've got one horse here that will stand 'ground tied' or with her rope just looped through a ring or thrown over the partition and she won't move even if you walk away and leave her but she's not really happy at all on cross ties
For my horse It less about restrictions and more about freedom. When you tie a horse to a wall, hitching post or trailer there is something in front of them so they cant move forward, cross ties are the opposite.. it appears to be wide open and most horses will try it several times before they figure out how cross ties work. but either way a meltdown is inevitable:wink:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My mare didn't like the cross ties because they were set for much taller horses even let out full length. I recognized that and bought short trailer ties (with the same quick release snap as cross ties) to add and expand the length. The place where the snaps meet do weight the ties a little, but does not bother my mare. Sometimes I don't tie her at all, sometimes I do. It depends on the activities going on around and through the barn.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts