The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all: I've dried out my gelding's mane using a leave-in detangler - must have silicone in it. With the cold, I don't want to shampoo him. I've seen people recommend coconut oil - can you leave that in without rinsing? Or is there something else that works without water? Thanks -
Anne

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes, coconut oil is meant to be left in. I suggest coconut oil only, for a while, to get the moisture back into it.

Once it's warm enough to bathe, give it a good shampoo, and super deep condition, with warm olive oil, leave it in for thirty minutes or so, wash it out, and keep maintained with coconut oil after that. Does a great job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes I love coconut oil! i haven't actually used it on horse hair before but I use it on my hair all the time and its amazing! It really helps to moisturize your hair and i leave it in over night. I don't see why you can't use it on your horse! Maybe put some on and put his tail in a tail wrap, the kind you braid. Then it's protected a bit better from the cold and doesn't have as much breakage when it's on, plus it'll keep all the oil in his tail to moisturize it! But like I said, I've never done that before or used the oil on my horse myself, so who knows if it'll work unless u give it a try!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Got some today, worked it into a horse tail and a mule tail - they were quite interested in the scent but did make them softer. I'll keep using it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently bought Healthy Haircare hair moisturizer spray from Dover Saddlery for five dollars (good price but doesnt last long). It seems to work well on my TB mare's dry tail and it contains Lanolin!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.