The Horse Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
They will wear through at the toe. Dont worry about that unless it becomes too loose to be safe because the horse is so comfy she is tearing around, or the mare is no longer getting the benefit of the comfort you are seeking from the cast, or you suspect thrush/fungal issues.

Ive had them on with the toes completely worn out for a couple weeks before and they were still providing comfort and on well enough enough to be fine. Use your best judgement and err on the side of caution. If they need to be removed before its time to trim again, clean the foot well with a hoof pick and wire brush to get all the chalk out, treat with Durasole or so forth and give the horse 24 to 48 hours and see how shes moving. Sometimes, with a little growth, there is no need to rewrap because the horse is then comfortable.

Dont let any fungal issues get out of hand but do be aware that horse feet WILL stink when you remove the cast (much like a casted body part ick!) and be quite chalky with exfoliating sole and possibly be damp as well. Thats OK so long as they dry right up in a couple of days and harden back off. If they take longer, dont rewrap till they are nice and hard and dry. Im from a temperate rainforest tho so I might have a worse time with this than you!

Also remember that they are constricting so time off in between is usually a good idea. I always try to give several days to a week in between and make sure the horses foot isnt starting to harbor anything gross when I have to cast back to back. A nice pea gravel loafing area is a great in between hangout for most horses. It exfoliates the sole and also is nice and round and comfy to stand on for all but the very worst horses.

41 - 41 of 41 Posts