The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting pretty worried right now. My mare started bleeding out of her right nostril after our workout today. I worked her on the barrel pattern (working on adding speed while keeping those correct turns) and let her go through at her own pace (more or less a slow gallop) twice -not pushing her at all. We walked through and I let her catch her air before I took her through the second time because I noticed she was breathing abnormally hard after going through the first -though I didn't think much of it at the time because she is starting to add speed. Overall, it did not seem to be like a heavy workout -she was only a little bit sweaty beneath our pad at the end of our ride, which ended with us moseying down a trail at a walk. I warmed up and cooled down normally.

The first bleed wasn't awful (though it did bother me); I pegged it as maybe the cold weather (teens-35 maaaybe 40 degrees F.) for the past couple of days, which immediately turned into around 60 today. It only bled for a few minutes, I cleaned it up and it quit. We stopped on the way home and I checked her -she was clean. Well, we just barely got home and it started bleeding again, so I ran inside to look for answers. (Mom refuses to call the vet -I have no say.) The second bleed was out of the same (right) nostril. What could this be? Mom has promised she will call the vet on Monday to make an appointment to take her in (needs her shots anyway). Do we make an emergency call? Is there any way to know what this is? Why did it start bleeding the second time after we were already home? This is the first time anything like this has happened to any of our horses, so I guess I'm a bit touchy, especially because its MY horse...

ETA: Could it be stress related? We just sold her colt (even though he's 5 this year, but she was still attached) a couple of weeks ago and there were other horses at the arena which she checked out immediately. Once I got on, she settled right into our warm-up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Any pus or just blood? I was thinking of our gelding that had a gutteral pouch infection years ago that developed from a cold.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just blood. It's bright red if that makes any difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.