Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My horse has had a nose bleed today. When i went out to feed both of my horses and i noticed that Reds nose is bleeding. There is a little cut on the outside of his nostril and I have no idea what is wrong or what caused it. It is no longer bleeding but i put some stuff on the cut. Anyone have any ideas?
Thankx
Haley

·
Registered
504 Posts
what kinda cut is it?
Is it possible he could have just cut his nose on the fencing or whatever.
My horse used to be so clumsy he would always have little cuts and niks all over him. i woulnt worry too much if its small

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Me either. Technically since its from a cut, its a lesser deal than if it was bleeding from the inside. If it was coming out of the inside of his head, then he could have brain damage.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya its not from the cut. it is like a human nose bleed.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Honestly - if it's not from the cut and hasn't happened before it can be VERY serious and I'd have the vet out ASAP. It could simply be an ethmoid hematoma but it could also be something more serious. There was a horse at my barn that came in one afternoon with a nosebleed, he had hemorrhaged and died the next morning.

The vet will need to scope to make sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya. none of the horses i know have never had a problem and its not that i am worried about the cut because that can be healed and he is eating and drinking and the bleeding has stopped. Could it be stress?

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no hes a QH and hes 15 so i barley every ride him anymore

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
is it dry weather out where you are? when it gets very dry here there is one horse that tends to get simple nosebleeds...

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no. it just poured here and its been wet here all yr

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ya
the vet said she will come tomorrow and if his appitite changes it may lead to collic. she thinks it may be stress

·
Registered
855 Posts
Meh, Last horse I had with a nose bleed, died. :(

·
Registered
504 Posts
way to make her worry..
Your doing the right thing with having the vet look at your horse.
Im sure when the vet gets to him she will be able to help.
Just keep an eye on him for now and make sure he doesnt get any worse or anything.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thankx Brandon. Real help bud lol. Thankzx Jemmamalone. She is coming out today and he has no sign of collic and with a stethascope i can here his belly gugrgle. (i have athsma so i have a stethascope lol). He just seems to be standing...not really more but hell go get nibbles of hay and interact with the other horses. Hes my first horse so im more stressed on what actions to make for his sake than actually full fear.

·
Banned
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the bleeding has stopped!!!I just checked him and his nose has dried blood so it looks like maybe hrs ago it stopped! hes deff back to himself. he tried to nock me down..stupid cookies! thankx guys. i am still going to have the vet out even if the bleeding has stopped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.