The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what happened, these lumps appeared on him overnight and haven't gone away in months. They arent hurting him, I can push on them and he does nothing and they aren't really hard but they arent really soft either. Any ideas to what happened?

Bridle Horse tack Halter Snout Nose

Hair Fur Horse Pony Tail

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone now reading this, the vet has confirmed that the lump was created when Charlie got his halter caught on something and broke the cartilage in his nose :( he is fine it just healed like that. Hope this helps anyone else!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone now reading this, the vet has confirmed that the lump was created when Charlie got his halter caught on something and broke the cartilage in his nose :( he is fine it just healed like that. Hope this helps anyone else!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow interesting. I have a friend whose gelding has similar lumps on his nose, I think they were from a bad past rider though (sad). Glad your guy is ok.

·
Registered
303 Posts
gelding has similar lumps on his nose, I think they were from a bad past rider
Our horse has the same thing. When we had the vet check, she indicated it was cartilage damage but it did not affect his breathing or ride ability.

When we spoke to his previous trainer, we were basically told that it was a result of things they did during his 'training'. <grrr!>

·
Registered
298 Posts
Our horse has the same thing. When we had the vet check, she indicated it was cartilage damage but it did not affect his breathing or ride ability.

When we spoke to his previous trainer, we were basically told that it was a result of things they did during his 'training'. <grrr!>
Ugh so sad. I can't imagine what you have to do to break the cartilage on a horses nose! :-(

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Pixitrix, if you run your fingers down the horse's nose you will feel where the bone ends and the cartilage begins. When the nose band is too low and the horse pulls back hard, this can happen.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A friends horse has a similar lump, caused by running into a tree during a storm. He effectively broke his own nose! A year later he still has a lumpy nose, but it seems to be either getting smaller, or we're all used to it and don't notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.