The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid-upper 20's mare that was underweight over summer, I had her teeth floated and was giving her 6lbs Purina Senior along with a fat supplement. Plus she is on turnout 24/7 and gets free choice hay 24/7 also. She is missing some teeth so can't chew hay that great but was doing great and gaining weight up until about 2 weeks ago. She started not eating her grain. I thought maybe Purina switched up their feed so I tried Nutrena SafeChoice Senior and she wouldn't touch that either. My step-dad gave her some cracked corn which she ate once and that was it, wouldn't touch it either. So I had some UlcerGuard and gave her 2 doses for a few days and gave her some sweet feed. After the first few days she was eating all the sweet feed up, so I did some research and bought a bag of Triple Crown Senior, she was eating that all up too, but now today she was back at only nibbling on it again. She has lost some weight in the past 2 weeks from not eating all her senior feed. I have her blanketed for the winter too. Should I treat her for ulcers? The UlcerGuard seemed to have helped her and she was eating again after having it for a few days. Or could it be something else?

·
Super Moderator
27,069 Posts
Take her temperature to make sure she doesn't have some sort of viral thing going on...

The old ones can be finicky and go off their feed on occasion, sometimes something as simple as letting them eat grass or that really expensive compacted easy to chew alfalfa that you can get at tractor supply will put them back on their feed...

The purina senior can also be harder to chew than some of the other feeds... make sure what you have is a breakable pellet...

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Hi & welcome, Sounds like ulcers likely to me too. Possibly due to too starchy/NSC feed &/or too large &/or infrequent feeds. How many meals a day is she getting? I would personally choose a low NSC, low/grain free alternative to Purina, and I'd ensure she was getting about 3lb max per feed, in at least 2-3 meals daily.

Changing feeds like that, especially including cracked corn(about the worst grain for horses) & sweets may have exacerbated the problems. If changing/stopping/starting different feeds, this is best done gradually in little & often feeds, over a week or 2.

If she can't chew hay very well, replacing her hay ration with fresh grass, chaff/chop &/or beet pulp & the likes may be in order.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Feed her mush :)

We tried just about everything with our horse. He got beet pulp, grain, alfalfa pellets, timothy pellets, etc all in a massive bucket of mush. It could be that her teeth are bothering her. Try mashing the same stuff she has been eating and see if it does it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.