The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first time making a post here, so please bear with me!
I recently bought a horse (around 2 months ago), but when I got him he was in an extremely bad condition. Completely malnourished for a horse his size (he is over 185 cm in the withers), with cuts and bruises everywhere. I advised with my trainer and asked him if I should add any types of supplements into his feed, and he said no. I still bought him some supplements because I couldn't stand to
look at him in that state. I am currently giving him Red Mills Conditioning Mix, together with TRM’s Hoofmaker Concentrated Pellets and Stride HA (my trainer is against using Stride HA because it will “wake the horse up” and boost his performance way too much), and a mix of apples and carrots once a day. Of course he gets hay and fresh green grass everyday. His cuts and bruises mostly healed but I am worried about his weight gain. He has a very defined wither and hips, you can see and almost all of his ribs etc. I don’t want to overdo it and cause unwanted effects but I am really worried if he is on the right track.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Nice looking horse. I would suggest more forage type feeds. Alfalfa pellets. I would not be using any supplement that is made for a horse that is in high performance riding . You need good quality forage (hays grasses) and fats to gain weight. You can add oil (vegetable, canola, corn, olive) over the pellets. You can buy senior feeds that have a higher fat content. You can get products for weight gain with high fat contents. Main thing should be hay. Lots of hay.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
Does he get unlimited hay, or are you only giving him a certain amount each day? Also what kind of hay is it? I also would not feed the performance feed at this point.

·
Registered
51,302 Posts
I think he's in very good weight there. Once you start riding regularly he will muscle up. I'd rather have a horse slightly underweight than overweight. We are much too used to seeing horses that are even obese , in this modern life.

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,258 Posts
I think he still needs weight, his top lines needs filling out and he looks a bit sucked up in the flank area needing some weight there in the ribs. Hes a good looking fella and really like his looks and he looks huge as in tall and big boned, how tall is he? I would up his hay as in add more hay to his diet. Oh I see that hes 185cm at the withers, I dont know what that means so I will try looking that up, lol..Nice looking horse!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
He’s so GORG!!
What about giving him alfalfa? More hay?
I gave my super malnourished horse a hay bag full of alfalfa a day just to get his weight up, and if it’s a late cutting it won’t have much sugar in which won’t make your horse hot or have extra energy.

I personally found that Tribute feeds help, (low NSC high fat) especially like K Finish, kalm ultra, especially if your trainer doesn’t want him to be on a feed that won’t give him energy.
K finish helped a lot with weight.
Or Bio Ez by giddyup girls (its a supplement)
But anything you feed, I’d suggest a low NSC, if you do end up changing his feed.

I disagree with your trainer, a horse like that definitely needs some supplements/grain and or extra forage to help him.

But I also know that Triple Crown Senior helps with weight, low NSC too..

is he able to be in a field 24/7? Does he have freedom to get to grass?

·
Registered
16,325 Posts
He's not looking bad, but I agree that he needs more weight, specifically top line and filled out in the flanks. He's likely always going to have some rib showing and that's not a bad thing. He's not unhealthy or he wouldn't shine like he does. The 2 supplements you mentioned, Red Mills & TRM, I can't see a reason not to reed them. They've got lots of fibre and vitamins and minerals that are good for him and not really a lot that would make him crazy hot.

I wasn't able to find Stride HA. I found products by Stride Animal Health but nothing called Stride HA. Can you post a picture of the nutrition label? If you can't get alfalfa (Lucerne) where you are, maybe you can get an amino acid product like this one: Tri Amino by Uckele it has everything he needs to build a nice topline and fill in those huge withers.

·
Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,974 Posts
Soaked plain beet pulp or soaked rice brain are good feeds for adding weight without making a horse "hot." You could look into adding those to his diet. They're also great for mixing the supplements into.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, this is my first time making a post here, so please bear with me!
I recently bought a horse (around 2 months ago), but when I got him he was in an extremely bad condition. Completely malnourished for a horse his size (he is over 185 cm in the withers), with cuts and bruises everywhere. I advised with my trainer and asked him if I should add any types of supplements into his feed, and he said no. I still bought him some supplements because I couldn't stand to
look at him in that state. I am currently giving him Red Mills Conditioning Mix, together with TRM’s Hoofmaker Concentrated Pellets and Stride HA (my trainer is against using Stride HA because it will “wake the horse up” and boost his performance way too much), and a mix of apples and carrots once a day. Of course he gets hay and fresh green grass everyday. His cuts and bruises mostly healed but I am worried about his weight gain. He has a very defined wither and hips, you can see and almost all of his ribs etc. I don’t want to overdo it and cause unwanted effects but I am really worried if he is on the right track.
Seems you are making good strides towards your companions recovery , just continue with patience the feed sounds good to me, of course I would throw in alfalfa as well. But as was said concern for an unfamiliar horse with extra gear power is only fun for a few.. lol. It would be great for a pasture turn out on regular basis. Is he old or a youngster ? Good luck take care.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts