The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at the yard today feeding Bandit and one of the old boys came hobbling over. He's always going on about how horses are a waste of time and money and how he's shoot every one of them.. we all think he's away with the fairies and just let him babble away...

Anyway, after feeding Bandit I was sweeping up outside his box and the old guy came over babbling about "my pony" and what a waste of money he must be yadda yadda yadda. I told him that Bandit is my pleasure in life, even if I don't ride much during the winter I get enjoyment out of my time spent, be it grooming, mucking out or feeding.

As I had my back turned he says "sometimes he needs a good smack in the jaw" and next thing he landed one on the side of Bandit's face!! :evil: Bandit was standing there, doing nothing to anybody and minding his own business - he wasn't even looking at the man!!

I looked at him and told him if I ever see him hit my horse again there would be trouble. He started ranting and raving about my horse being pushy when he brings him in - don't bring him in then - it's quite simple!, I've never asked anybody to bring him in they just do because he stands at the gate after a few hours. So I told him I'd do more than push him if I were Bandit and got a smack.

I'm disgusted - I was wondering why Bandit was a bit headshy the odd time. Now I'm very much annoyed at the thought this man thinks he can hit ANY horse across the head for no reason. I gave him "a bollocking" as they say here - am I in the right to speak to the owner of the yard? She wasn't there when I left today or I would of because I was so angry.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hell yeah you have every right to go speak to the barn owner! I'd even go as far as to take my horse from there if they didnt do something to be sure the guy never does it again!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
That's unacceptable! By all means, speak to the BO as soon as possible! Such persons should never be working with horses and deserve a good smack on the jaw themselves! :evil:

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I can't imagine why you would even ask if you are in the right to speak to the yard owner. As With Grace said, if you speak up and don't feel the concern is properly addressed, I'd be moving my horse (and feel remiss in my duties as his owner if I did not). In fact, I may look anyway, because if the old man is a bit out of his head and this issue is brought up to him as a complaint from you he may well take it out on your sweet Bandit.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would not only talk to the barn owner, but send a registered letter documenting what you saw, what you expect to be done (no further contact between this "man" and your horse), and the notification that you will move stables if any further evidence of contact occurs - this way you have a legal right to move without having to give the required advance notice.

If he'll hit him IN FRONT OF YOU, what is he capable of when no one is around??

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've already looked around... looking at the moment. I like where he is, the rest of the people there are absolutely fantastic - all racing people but people who know their horses and love their horses. My biggest problem is finding somewhere reasonably close to me - where I can call into him daily. I had him at home for a while last year but I've only got an acre, it's not enough for him and Simba.

I'm calling in tomorrow and speaking to her, she's a lovely woman and I know will see to things right away. It's just amazing that I NEED to speak to somebody about it, if he's so miserable working with horses - don't. It's simple really.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I would not only talk to the barn owner, but send a registered letter documenting what you saw, what you expect to be done (no further contact between this "man" and your horse), and the notification that you will move stables if any further evidence of contact occurs - this way you have a legal right to move without having to give the required advance notice.

My thoughts exactly!

I'm with everyone else here, speak with the BO asap. Some people should be taken behind the woodshed and be "enlightened"!

Just wanted to add that a similar situation just happened at my friends barn. Her stallion (now deceased) who was such a gentleman got cold cocked by a visiting friend. Apparently said "friend" opened his stall door to put his hay down, she was helping my friend feed out, and Man didn't jump out of her way fast enough. Poor old guy, he probably was just waiting for his usual scratch on the head and would have moved right over. That's what he always did for me. Needless to say my friend gave this person a talking to, and is now banned from ever stepping on her property. She also wondered what could possibly have been going on when she wasn't there, or had her back turned at times.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I'm moving my horse soon to another boarding place, where the BO and all the staff are also my friends (just farther from my home than I'd like, but at least I'll fell safe for my big guy), and one of the reasons is - the guy that works at the barn we're situated right now, is sometimes prone to shouting at horses, calling them names, and so on, with no reason at all. Rising one's voice just to be rude is completely enough for me to become disgusted, but if I'd ever see him actually hit a horse...well, let's just say I'm prone to uncontrolled aggression, whenever I see cruelty against animals. :evil: Just thinking about such people makes me mad. :evil:

OP - if you find a fine place where to board your horse, don't let the distance to make you hesitate. People get used to many crazy things, if they are for the good of their horses.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
That, THAT, and THAT a hundred-fold.

Many many years ago, I had to board for a short time. I caught the barn help hitting my horse at feeding time and my horse hadn't done anything.

I had seen everything from the moment the stall door was un-latched. The hitting was to scare my horse to the back corner of the stall and make him wait until the barn help put his feed in the pan and closed the stall door behind him.

I got the snot-faced punk fired. I would've loved to beat the living tar out of him but it so happened I worked with his mom.

I did give her a big ear full at work so, needless-to-say we didn't speak for a lot of years; until the boy got in trouble with law a few times and got arrested.

That was 20 years ago and Duke is still skittish if my husband goes in his stall while he's eating - he wants to stop eating and go to the back corner:cry:

That old geezer needs his false teeth ripped out of his mouth. Good luck to you. Don't be surprised if the barn owner wants to do something but can't because the old Duffer "has no where else to go ya know"-----

EDITED TO ADD: I can be disrespectul in talking about the old man -- I'll be 65 this year - lollollol

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That was what was going through my head while I was walking to my car. I had made for the house to speak to the BO but saw that the place was empty excluding her elderly mother - who has nothing to do with the horses and I didn't feel right barging in ranting and raving at her.

I'm going in tomorrow and telling her what happened, that I'm very much upset by it, that there is no need for ANY horse to be hit like that and that it raises giant question marks for when I'm not there with the horse.

I had looked at a different place before I moved into this yard, it was quite far away but I was not impressed with the way the horses were treated there either.

I'm fussy, I like to do a good job taking care of my horse and I expect other people to do the same - the other place had all their youngsters tied with ropes and broken head collars in one of those cattle barns with the feeders.

I'm going to have to look further afield, which is a pain with the baby but I'm literally sick to my stomache thinking of Bandit getting thumps like that :evil: I know already I'm going to be up all night thinking about this.

I used to be up at 5:30 to go see to him before, I'm thinking either I'll be doing that again or my non-horsey husband is going to have to assist me in the mornings from now on.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That old geezer needs his false teeth ripped out of his mouth. Good luck to you. Don't be surprised if the barn owner wants to do something but can't because the old Duffer "has no where else to go ya know"-----

EDITED TO ADD: I can be disrespectul in talking about the old man -- I'll be 65 this year - lollollol
Thats what I'm worried about - the guy is 66, appears to have no family and lives in their house. He was after being offered a counsel house to live in but turned it down. I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon, and until today I would have always gotten on well with him.I'd often help them hay, water and feed just cus I was there and that's what I do. Today I saw to Bandit, had Bandit completely taken care of and left him to do the flippin work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Oh my gosh, you behaved a lot better than I would have. Good luck talking to the BO. Hopefully everything gets sorted out! Make sure you keep your calm and be tactful. A little sugar goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
You're totally in the right for talking to the BO.

I've recently had a problem similar to yours, and I keep my horses at home! A certain few family members hate my gelding and from the way they have been talking, I actually moved my boy across the road to my uncle's pasture. Since moving him, I've noticed that he isn't jerking away from me when I go to pet him anymore, so it made me wonder (and realize) that a certain -somebody- has been hitting him in the face... I told my cousin that if I ever caught him raising a hand to any of my horses, I'd beat the (blankety blank blank) outta him...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would think the barn owner would want to know what is going on in her barn. I am sure once you tell her she will not allow him on the property. is he an employee???

·
Registered
15,151 Posts
Who is this person? He works at the stable where you board your horse? Are you serious?

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOAH I would have whacked him one, the old sod!! Especially with you there!! Totally not on - speak to the yard manager really seriously about it, and tell her you intend to leave if he stays, if you actually do. (It really might be the better option? You really don't want your horse harmed by some ignorant git! :( )
Ooh I'm cross now - I've had screaming rows with people regarding what they do to their OWN horses - don't think anyone'd dare touch MINE!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
If that had been my horse, the guy would have left the barn in an ambulance.

Talk to the stable owner as soon as you can. There is no excuse for that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.