The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Leroy, also posted with permission.

Leroy was mine back when we all never believed Trigger would make such a 180 in trusting me and me, him. LEROY is the horse I had that's a bit of a Homer Simpson - he's even yellow. He was a straight line thinker on trails, and it didn't matter if I was going to get raked through a cedar or a honey locust tree, or a bois d'arc tree... or through scrub oak... if there was a cow trail, we were by God staying on the trail. He'd ignore the reins, and I'd have to try to plow rein him, and he'd set his neck and plow right through... or. Throw a temper tantrum and not pay attention, lose his footing, and fall down with me. That happened three or four times. His former owner reported the same issues.

When I realized he was going to get me hurt, I sold him to my cousin's daughter, JC, (she's in the pictures). JC is who helps us with Oops and trailer loading class, etc. She's maturing into an excellent horsewoman. For a while though, Leroy had her buffaloed. She had the same problems with him. He's a total dud at ranch work, lazy, hard headed, straight line thinker. She's had him 3 years now and tried something new a couple of months ago.

She's turning him into a barrel horse and he seems to be enjoying it.

Get him in an ARENA and he's a whole different horse.

Note: The scarring on his face happened when he was a youngster, long before his former owner had him. There are pictures in my album/barn of Leroy when we first got him and he was a sad looking animal, having spent two weeks at the sale barn and no one wanting him until I came along. His life has made a tremendous turn around. It makes my heart happy that he has a second chance at life and that she's making something out of him.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.