The Horse Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just saw a report from Britney outside of first aid. Mario walked in under his own power. His mountnis also ok.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Santa Anita just canceled the remainder of the card, due to weather/ dangerous. Sure it played a part in Mario' fall.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
San Felipe: Sorry a little later with this one. Was playing some tournaments.

1) Uncle Lino- Surprise another Uncle Mo

2) Danzing Candy- The ' wise guy' horse with lots of buzz. He gets Mike Smith to ride. That alone gets him on my ticket. I would use him if he was on a mule.

3) Mor Spirit- Another Surprise, Bob Baffert has another good horse. He has Gary Stevens in the irons. Another jockey I never leave off. Mor Spirit is going to need him. I really like this horse. But he has a tendency to be lazy in workouts and in races if he gets to the lead to early. We will find out a lot more about him.

4) Cupid- Another Baffert, this one by Tapit.

5) I Will Score- Would be a stretch to see him winning, but with Jerry Hollendofer training you can't be all surprised.

Smokey Image - Very impressive his last out. It was a much softer spot. But he is a really nice mover. Faces much tougher here. A wait and watch for me, but in a small field may be forced to select.

7) Exaggerator- By Curlin. I imagine Kent will do what he always does and pester the favorites. I never put him in my selections. Hate to hold that against the horse. And in a small field he may hold on for minors.

Not much in way of selections as I see it all 2 and the 3. 4 and 5 coming with and would not be surprised if one of them jumps up.
The 5 Cupid is scratched so in will sub Smokey Image. Small field of six limits payouts most likely, but still a nice group

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
So, Aubie, it has taken me until today to figure out that you had started this post because you could not get to sleep and wanted to do something rather than 'Not Sleepy So' being the name of a rising star in the horse racing industry.:oops:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Sorry I tend to type like I am just talking. Also forgive me the typos. Most of the time I am on a tablet and when the keyboard pops up to type, the view window for text gets a lot smaller. In real life I am so whatever the opposite of narcissist, rarely using the words I or me. It should have read I am not sleepy.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Nice racing day with some minor surprises As expected Destin won the Tampa Bay Derby. Outwork got up for second. A nice 53 dollar exacta. No Brody's Cause was a little surprising. At in California the buzz was spot on. Danzing Candy a winner with Mor Spirit second. Not as big a payoff at 18 dollars exacta but easy pickings. Boxing Mike and Gary for 4 bucks is a no brainer.
Not giving up on Mor Spirit, he was moving late and should like the added distance.

Surprised about Effinex losing. Hate it for Mike Smith but really happy for Joe Talemo. I got to really like him on the reality show Jockeys. Was also nice to see Gary get a win on the card with Kobe's Back. Great ride to get him to break a little better than usual. I had him on my ticket last year in a Breeder's Cup race. Dewlt isn't the word, he took a nap in the gate that day.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Just saw Mor Spirit schooling at Santa Anita. He looked absolutely fantastic. When he figures it out, look out.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Since our Standardbreds do not have any Triple Crown prep races (most are not even qualifying yet) for a couple of more months, I'll throw out a couple of nice races by aged horses.

Pacers: The Levy Memorial Pace was held at Yonkers with 4 divisions with HOY Wiggle it Jiggleit in the 3rd division.

Santa Fe Beachboy ( 6 yo H by Somebeachsomewhere) won his division in a very handy 1:50.2 over Bettorever. Santa Fe Beachboy is a nice horse with his last quarter in 27.4 is a solid last quarter so early in the racing season.

Second Division had a nice win with the New Zealand horse Bit of a Legend N ( 7 yo G Bettors Delight) who took his division in 1.51.2 with a last quarter in 27.2 over Brian Sears and Phil Your Boots in a close battle.

Third Division was where the excitement was at with HOY Wiggle It Jiggleit having a full field gunning for him. All Bets Off (5 yo H Bettors Delight)won a tight race over Wiggle It Jiggleit in a 1.52.3 last quarter in 28.1 with a fast closing Wiggle It who had serious traffic issues, had a last quarter in 27.2.

Fourth Division saw Take It Back Terry (7 yo G by Western Terror) and Mach It So have another thrilling stretch duel with Take It Back Terry getting a hard fought win in 1.51.4 and a last quarter in 27.1

This racing series for Aged Horses and Geldings continues next week with the finals being on the 23rd of April. This is looking to be a great year for our Aged horses with many returning champions staying strong and sound with the average horse being 6.5 years old.

The Trotters will get their chance next week with several nice Open Trots on the cards.

Most of our 2 yo races don't start until July with the "Kindergarten Series" kicks off the baby races at the Meadowlands and 3 yos normally start qualifying in May with June/July races.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I saw Wiggle run last night. He was much the best but as you said to much trouble. Glad you posted. I watch between thoroughbred races on TVG. I did have more questions. I noticed when watching the big m last night lots of trailers in the parking lot. Do horse normally ship in for the race on race day? Also why do thr riders rock? Seems any advantage leaning forward would be lost pulling back.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Meadowlands aka The Big M is now ship in only, which was so sad to see many barns I have raced out no longer there. Most trainers prefer racing off of farms or training centers as you can have access to turnout and have the ability to tailor your training program more. Wiggle It looked great but traffic got the best of him, happens to all of us one time or another.

The "rocking" many drivers do is just another way to encourage more speed, the whip is not used the same as in TB racing, the drivers hit the shafts of the bike or the vinyl racing number and not the horse as much. Drivers will do almost anything to get an advanage and coak more speed. I'm not sure how well it works but telling a driver anything is hard even in the best of times :).

I honestly find Standardbred racing so much better on almost every level better than TB, I worked in TB racing before switching to STBs and I've not looked back. The STBs get treated so much better, and get more opportunity to just be a horse. We always had access to turnout, even if it was a oversized round pen, and our breeders work really hard to improve the breed and not just sell an overly precocious miler who bleeds.

I'll keep updating STB racing and especally Foiled Again (he had a bad trip also) and Wiggle It Jiggleit, love these two and love how our stars keep racing past 3 yos.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I watch it more now than I used to. Also quarter horse racing from Las Al. Although I took a beating tonight.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts