The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to Texas and after about 2 weeks of being here, my horses finally settled in. I noticed a lesion on my Percheron/TB that's on his heel bulb... I cleaned it and applied antibiotic to it. It keeps re-opening. At first I thought maybe an abscess but it's not warm, no pulses, no fever. I had my farrier out last night and he wasn't sure either. It's not very big, maybe the size of a quarter. Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Looks to me like he probably just scraped himself. Tho if that's obviously not the case, I'd think a kind of 'mudfever'. I'd just keep it regularly squirted with iodine or such, to keep germs at bay until it's healed. I would use a broad spectrum treatment rather than an antibiotic, because it may be fungal or such, rather than bacterial.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Could have been a case of "gravel" a small stone gets stuck in the foot abd grown over, then works its way out through the top or heel. Usually happens in horses with white line or very deep frogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
^That's the old term/idea for why abscesses happen. While horses with serious separation/contracted heels can indeed get gravel stuck in the cracks, and these can occasionally cause bruising/abscessing, gravel doesn't travel from bottom to top and even if stuck in a deep central sulcus, doesn't travel or materialise mid heel bulb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses! I have the vet coming Saturday because he needs his teeth done anyway. It's not particularly scary looking... but it just concerns me that it's not healing. Plus my farrier said he saw a horse with something that looked similar and that it turned out to be cancerous.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Nothing like reassurance from your farrier, huh?? I wouldn't stress. Yes, could be cancer(or canker), but looks unlikely to me, looks minor & no point stressing over unlikely things, at least until you know they're a real & strong possibility. I'm pretty sure your vet will put your mind at rest, whatever it is.

·
Registered
14,981 Posts
Picture of tooth please!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't take one :( he had a buck tooth his whole life and the vet always said to just leave it unless it caused a problem. Well I had noticed a funny smell in his mouth, but it would come and go. Apparently he's been getting food stuck behind it and it started rotting. She went ahead and pulled it.... Didn't look like fun! He was thoroughly out of it though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.