The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am a new member but have been reading posts for a few weeks. Ill try to keep a long story short but pretty much I was looking for a child safe horse for me and my daughter to both be able to ride. When I went to see what I thought was the perfect horse... they opened the doors to the barn and it STUNK so bad!!! Like the stable hadn't been cleaned in ages and there was not enough ventilation. I pretty much didn't think twice about taking her anyways at that point because it felt like a horrible environment. The people were friendly and said they had her for a long time, child safe 4-h camping etc etc. But ever since we got her she has been reactive, somewhat stressed seeming - she had been kept in a stall all the time so we have her out roaming but she doesn't seem happy. I can tell her feet were not kept well and trimmed weird ( low heels/ long toes look off balance) and have a trimmer coming out so maybe she is pain? She keeps her hoof resting and her butt against the fence as for support when she is just chilling. I have massaged her and she seems to feel good when I do that but what else can I do to keep her happy until we are waiting to get her balanced and healthy? Should mention we have drops for eye issues right now, have tried cleaning her crusty mare parts underside, and supplements for potential ulcers... I feel like she is mad at me for being the bad guy who takes care of her... Where do I start with getting her happy while having to do things she doesn't like... and then I can't figure out if I should exercise her much since she does have energy but also seems disrespectful towards me - but I don't know if it is pain or not!! Any suggestions please I don't know what to do!!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Can you send pictures of the way she's standing, and of her feet?

Also, is she there by herself or do you have another horse? Being alone can be stressful for a horse, and that may explain some of her behavior if so.

I wouldn't worry about exercising her if she's in a paddock and can move around. I think right now you're right to focus on trying to solve her various problems. Speaking of which, have you had a vet out?

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
If she is taking the weight off her feet when resting by using a fence, I would avoid exercising her until she's had a farrier and vet see her. She might have laminitis or another lameness issue. It could be as simple as a severe case of thrush if she's been standing in urine and manure. It sounds like she is unhealthy, and has been poorly taken care of. Horses coming out of this type of situation can be depressed, and that can take some time to improve.

I'd assume she needs vet care such as teeth floating, worming and a check up. If she does have ulcers, you'd be better off treating with omeprazole rather than just supplements, which are more helpful for preventing ulcers.
What are you feeding her? How is her weight?

I wouldn't think about her being respectful toward you. She doesn't know you, and humans have not been treating her well. Why would she think you are any different or trust you? I'd also assume she is not safe to handle or ride, because people who treat horses poorly often do not tell the truth when trying to get rid of a horse. Be careful, and treat her like she does not have training yet. When she is healthy, try to have an experienced horse person evaluate her to see if she will be safe for you and your daughter.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yea, you need lots of help here. Hopefully you will be able to get her straightened out and be a good horse for you. This forum is very helpful. Fee free to ask any question about your mare.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yea, you need lots of help here. Hopefully you will be able to get her straightened out and be a good horse for you. This forum is very helpful. Fee free to ask any question about your mare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was able to get a trimmer to come out yesterday! So her feet seem better - she wasn't propped up last night so much so I think that was a good start. She was very unbalanced. To clarify - we did treat her for ulcers with ulcerguard already (just supplements from here on right now). She does seem like she might have been a kids pony at one point but maybe was forgotten about for the past few years. I know she was turned out occasionally in a herd of horses, she is food greedy so I do not know if maybe the food was not consistent or if she had to fight for it, is at an okay weight and we are feeding her alfalfa. We have plans to have a vet come out next week but not till end of week and then will follow up with the next item - teeth. She definitely is kind of a mystery because I really think the people who owned her loved her and thought they had cared for her well... it's just like they didn't realize you need to actually take care of them. Day 3 when we got her before I realized stuff was off I did sit on her and she took a bridle and was ehh ok - sensitive to my leg touching sides and would kick out though to slight squeeze, like it was new not pain (I did see a video of a kid walking around on it). This forum surely will be helpful with our journey thank you!

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Great suggestions already offered:)

I will add one more thing— sometimes when a horse needs to lean on something, it can be due to vertebra or sacrum issues.

An equine chiro might be beneficial, especially since you commented that your massages seemed to help a lot. You may be bringing temporary relief to something that needs realigned:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts