The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BO and a bunch of other people and I went on a road trip to go look at horses for me and someone else. I tried at least 3 - they were all jumpers. This is the one I really really like and am pretty sure I'm going to buy. Shes pretty green which is what I want but she already knows ENOUGH to have fun on. She just needs a little refineing over jumps and the canter. The owner of the stable owns at least 100 horses so she was one of the more unknown ones, but you can tell shes had some training and is pretty healthy. Nice clear eyes, good weight, healthy feet. She had an accident with getting kicked in the mouth by another horse so her front teeth are a little banged up but she can still bite nad nip other horses :p

Her name was aretha, but if Im going to buy her.. im re naming her Nova. Please excuse the position ..... I was pretty tense because he wasn't sure what she does cause he was away when she came in and was ridden.. and the canter isnt smooth lol so its gonna need some practice on my part and her part as far as not getting so excited. But she does a lot of her own self carrage I didnt have to do much. The owner thought we made a good match, and my BO pretty much demanded that this was the horse for me LOL!

BUt even though the owner of the stable wasn't 100% sure about her, he was completely honest with what he did know, and didn't hide a thing about the rest of his horses. Hes mostly a buy/sell stable.

I tried another one 14.2H Ill have a video of her up soon. But shes a little to short for me, and a little bit TO forward... and needed a german martingale to keep her head down SOOO we decided that wasnt a good choice.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
She looks like she could be a lot of fun. You are right, she is very green, personally I think she needs six months solid flatwork before I would let her even look at a jump.
All the best!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I agree. Flatwork is deffinately gonna be a must, lately I've learned how IMPORTANT dressage is before even thinking about jumping. So that will deffinately be done. But the good thing is that shes a SANE project.. unlike Chance.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really dont mind the greenness and shes really right at the level I want. The first rides on horses are never smooth or great. But I really liked her compared to all the other 8 horses I saw go.. and the other 2-3 I tried. So I really feel like this is going to be my next horse.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Just because she is better than the rest of the horses you tried there does not mean she is right. That is just silly.

I agree, a less green horse is more appropriate.

I will say she is a very patient creature. You were hanging on her mouth and she did not seem to be bothered by it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
As long as you know what you are getting yourself in to. If I were you, I would be very hardheaded on the price as $3000 sounds like a lot for a horse with little training. Don't act like you are in love with her and going to buy her no matter what as you will get taken to the cleaners!

Think of a price that you think is fair and make them an offer based on that. Just because someone is asking $3000 doesn't mean that she is worth that! How old is she?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Ha ha I turned the sound off near the beginning, sorry! Definately asking too much, but then most people do when they are selling horses. Good luck!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
She looks very nice actually (arena looks pretty crappy though). Trot looks good, canter doesn't (plus wrong lead for quite while). I don't see too much of problem with her being green if she's quiet, behaving, and you work with the trainer.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Being the best of what you have seen thus far does not make her the right horse for you. Your abilities don't seem to be suited to a green horse - even one as patient as she showed herself to be.
Perhaps it might even be a good idea to focus on lessons for yourself for a time and build yourself a better foundation as a rider and then find a horse that matches your new abilities.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not gonna pay $3000 for her. Im calling them today and gonna try and get her down to $2000. Because I cant even pay that much atm.

Dont judge my ability by that video. I was unsure of what she was going to do since he didnt even know at that point. He said she was green but was sane and I was only taking that with a grain of salt basically. But he was right.

Shes hard mouthed which is why it took that long to actually get her to stop at teh canter when she got excited which will be easy to fix in time. But she never even seemed liek she would do anything other then just keep going. lol. Never really picked up pace either.

Her canter isnt smooth which is why I kept popping out of the saddle.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Silly question - why do you ask for opinions when any time someone posts an opinion that does not agree with your theories you simply tell them they are wrong?

I agree with themacpack.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was under the impression you did want your ability judged...didn't you want to know what people though of your ride with that horse?

My thoughts are, if you're getting on a horse and you are nervous because you don't know what will happen, that horse is probably above your ability level. A person who knows what to do with a green horse and wouldn't freeze up if something would go wrong should be the appropriate owner for that horse.

Based on what I've read in this thread and previous threads by you, I would suggest not getting a new horse, and taking lessons to get your confidence and skill back up. I think getting a green horse is a great project, but you don't really seem ready for it. Your parents seem very willing to get you a horse, so there's really no harm in waiting a few months. I don't think it's your fault, but you had a green horse before, and it's not easy to learn how to ride properly on a green horse, you end up picking up lots of bad habits, or your confidence level drops down and you mess up because you're so unsure of yourself. Don't handicap yourself again by getting another green horse.

As a side note, that's pretty irresponsible of the seller to not know what his own horse would do and to put a rider who's ability he doesn't know on that horse.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I agree with about everyone else, you are not nearly as advanded as you consider yourself. Try to find a horse that is a little more well trained than the one in the video. That horse had alot of brace in the head and neck and seemed quite heavy on the forehand.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't asking for any critique really just more or less showing people the possible new horse. Like I said I didnt want my position or anything critiqued.. new horse.. new gaits.. new everything its hard to have that perfect positioning compared to a horse you ride all the time.

I wasnt on her mouth that much INTILL the canter, because seh was getting excited and wouldnt come down from the canter. Like I said shes a little hard mouthed. The bridle was also to tight.. he used the bridle on multiple of horses and I guess he didn't want to take the time to readjust it which kinda made me not to happy.

Shes green and the people who know me in person were there and believe that this should be my new horse. She improved within the first 10 mins I rode her, she was speedy and what not ... then I got her to slow down and some what relax. The rushyness then showed up again at teh canter, But I had to get off because the other girl needed my saddle so I didnt get a chance to do much at the canter.

I have a trainer im able to work with if needed. But I've pretty much set myself on this horse. I know she needs some work but shes a gorgeous mover and sweet attitude, I think with some time shes gonna do really well! She deffinately needs some ground work too.. the most he does is free lunge over jumps.

Yes I was 'nervous' Because he wasn't sure if green ment... just needs refinement... or green ment unpredictable.. so I think I had the right to be nervous there honestly. Im getting a new horse because I dont want another one like Chance. when he said he was unsure just knew she was green.. I was like oh god its probably another Chance. Thankfully she was far from it.

·
Registered
924 Posts
It's called the honeymoon period. A new horse won't test a rider as much as a new horse that's been ridden by you a few times. I think that anything over $1000 for a green horse over 5 is highway robbery in this economy but it's your money to waste. Also, I agree that you are overestimating your skill set and should take more lessons or buy a made horse before you take on more green projects. As stated above, if you're going to work/ride/buy green horses then you need to be able to ride green horses. A good trainer/rider could have gotten on that horse and improved the stride, improved her bracing, if not gotten the right lead they could have schooled it instead of just hoping for the best and improved the horse during the ride not just got her to walk trot and pick up her leads by chance. You don't have a good seat position, an effective leg, you pinch with your knees and you are stiff with your elbows and tend to balance on the horse's mouth. All will continue to make her a bracey, hard mouthed and unbalanced and rough ride. If you don't want to hear other people's opinions then don't post and ask for them. IF you do get her I wish you the best of luck but don't be surprised when you get little sympathy from the people of the forum that have been trying to help you all along.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I wasnt on her mouth that much INTILL the canter, because seh was getting excited and wouldnt come down from the canter.
The word is until, BTW.

If that is the case you were just letting her go around with her head bent quite a bit to the rail when you were going around clockwise? You were not trying to fix it at all?

Really both reins look pretty tight with a stiff elbow the whole time you are trotting so I am guessing you had her head bent out to the rail as your way of trying to get her back over to the rail.

·
Registered
6,635 Posts
I'm not going to get into the "you should buy her VS you should not buy her" argument, since you already seem to be set on her. So this is what I have to say and I PRAY that you listen to it.

A pre-purchase vet exam is a MUST MUST MUST. I don't care if every horse person you know was there with you, you need a VET to tell you she is healthy, sound, and most importantly, not drugged. For all you know, she was loaded with bute, and after you bring her home, will start to notice a significant lameness. And as sad as it is, it's pretty common to drug horses so they are calmer during try-outs. You want to avoid this.

And here's your critique:

Holy chair seat, batman! If that's your saddle and the saddle you plan on using on this horse, you NEED to get another one, because it does NOT work for you. Your heels are wayyyy too far forward, and it's going to cause an awful lot of problems in the effectiveness of your aids, your relaxation, and your ability to move with your horse. I've told you once that you need to set yourself up for success, and part of that is a saddle that fits you and your horse. And by "fits you," I mean it needs to put you in the correct position, not that your butt simply fits in it.

I see a lot of potential in the mare, honestly. So it's very important that you don't hold her back. Don't worry about her head carriage. It's all fake anyway. Should you get her, work on stretching her neck out, doing lots of long and low exercises and really encouraging her to lengthen that stride. She's a horse taking pony strides, and that's never fun, comfortable, or aesthetically pleasing. Ride her haunches, get them to engage. While riding, you should feel like you are going up a small hill.

Forward, forward, forward! She may be moving quickly, but she is not forward. Forward does not mean faster, forward means she is IN FRONT of your leg. That means, if you put leg on her, she should move accordingly.

As was already mention, make sure she is SOLID on the ground before you start taking her over jumps. One piece of advice is to make sure she is solid at the trot before you even start to canter her. You have to learn how to walk before you can learn how to run. If her trot is nice, her canter will be. I promise you it will. Lots of transitions between the halt, walk, and trot. If you think you've done enough, do fifty more. Do circles, serpentines, and lots of changes of direction. Encourage her to bend and be supple.

Lateral work will also do amazing things. Sure, it's higher up on the training scale, but moving your horse laterally [simple things like side-steps and leg yields] will loosen her up and encourage that hind end to engage. And you don't even have to do a lot. Warm up with a leg yield down the long side each direction and that's enough.

And for pete's sake, RELAX your arms, and put some slack in your reins! You aren't doing either of you any favors and the "hard mouth" you think she has now will increase ten-fold with every ride.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I was gonna say go for it, until I say who posted it.... i would go for somthing more broke if I were you :)

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.