The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
At first glance he looks like one that could make a "good 'ol reliable gelding". Not built the best and won't be your prime athlete, but surely could get the job done.

Appears to toe in in the back and possibly the front (can't really tell from this view though--and he needs a good trim). He's tied in at the knee. Built downhill. Has a plain head and thick throatlatch. Neck ties in a little low for my taste but it's a good length. For a 3 year old, he should be fitter. Needs topline muscling. Back is nice and short, but a little roachy looking (that's likely due to lack of topline conditioning).

For a gelding I wouldn't be too dang concerned about anything. If his eye tells me anything he'll make a nice kind boy.

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
I think that the impression of him being downhill is because the ground is on a fair slope. Otherwise I agree with your comments.

·
Registered
186 Posts
He seems like he can be one of those '"seen this, done that" type of horses. As a 3 yo, I would work on building topline and muscle. He might appear to be downhill because of the slope he is standing on. If he is downhill, it shouldn't be too much of a worry at this age because he'll develop.

For example, this is one of my racehorses as a yearling (don't worry, we were just walking around the training facility and yes, I know it's not the best photo). Here he is pictured now as a 4 year old.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts