The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new horse. I don't know much about him other than he is approximately 7-10 years old, Quarter Horse Cross, gelding, and he's relatively small in stature (about 15hh). He was very much underweight when I first brought him home about 2 months ago. I switched him over to Nutrena SafeChoice and gave him lots of hay. He's put on a good 75 pounds since then. He's gained a healthy level of body fat, but I need to help him put on some muscle without overworking him and burning off all weight I've just put on him. I've been riding him moderately 3-4 times a week for about an hour at a time. Mostly walking and trotting. I've also put him in the roundpen a little (though, he's not too good at lounging but we're working on it)... So I was thinking about adding Nutrena Empower Boost to his daily feed? What do you guys think about it? Would this be good for muscle mass? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
if you feed the recommended amount amount of Empower Boost you need to find a different form of calories that is NOT fortified like the Safe Choice is...it should work great for putting on muscle and keeping your boy healthy

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
edited to correct the boost is the fat supplement I was CONFUSED again LOL

safe choice is NOT as safe as they make it out to be and is NOT a fixed formula so the ingredients can change every batch for whatever is cheaper at the given moment!!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I used Boost over the winter for a hard keeper and it worked very well, I was trying to stay away from oats and corn the farmer had been feeding due to bird problems. In the spring I changed to a Nutrena 12% pellet and my gelding did well but the TB mare (the hard keeper) lost weight so I got one more bag of Boost just for her and it did the trick. Now they are on grass and just get a little 12% pellets in the evening.

Oh, over winter I did mix it with Nutrena Stock & Stable pellets just to give them a larger quantity. For her extra bag in the spring, just fed it alone to her. It must taste really good - Elwood was always after her bucket, had to stand guard.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
you could also go with Manna Pro's Max E Glo same type of product at about HALF the price

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
edited to correct the boost is the fat supplement I was CONFUSED again LOL

safe choice is NOT as safe as they make it out to be and is NOT a fixed formula so the ingredients can change every batch for whatever is cheaper at the given moment!!
Well, it's worked for our herd since Nutrena introduced it. Not broke here so I am not changing it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.