The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do these little things bug the crap out of everyone=}? I notice them a lot in younger members posts0__o instead of smileys, right in the middle and scattered:) throughout posts, and I find them very distracting>___> when I am trying to read a post almost:] as bad as netspeak and such>_<, they are a form of it anyhoo;[. I dont find smileys this bothersome:D because they do not blend with the text:p on the post and are easy to see:shock:, it is just as easy to click on a smiley and have it in place of these little things:twisted:...

Can we please do something about them, ban them right along with the netspeak???

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hate to tell you, but those have been the new smileys. And if most people are like me, I just use the quick reply box. We don't have a little emoticon menu.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
^^That's one of the problems that I have noticed. They are not an option with just the quick reply menu. There are some of them that will automatically change to a smiley when you type them with text like :? :) ?) and :D :) D). Maybe if they all have specialized auto changes from text, one of the mods or Mike could post the text version that would automatically change, that way we can use them in the quick reply, or they could maybe put a drop down smiley option on the quick reply box. That is one of the reasons why most of my posts contain :D that smiley is it is one of the only ones that I have found that will automatically change.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Nop, I don`t see nor have any problem with them :)
I'd let them stay haha

·
Registered
470 Posts
Also, if you, and the ones using them, would use spaces in between it'd be a whole lot easier to read!

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
PaintsPwn and smrobs hit the nail on the head. I use the quick reply box most of the time and therefore don't have access to the "real" smilies usually. Another reason I use text smilies sometimes is because I have no idea which "real" smiley would translate into something like " >.< " (for instance) and so when I'm trying to say that I feel >.< about something, I use that instead of choosing a random smiley and hoping for the best... Hahaha

I agree though that when they're used 24/7, especially within giant paragraphs that really should be about 5 little paragraphs instead of just one monster, it gets REALLY annoying.

I used to be part of a forum where one of the rules was that you could only use 3 or fewer smilies per post and personally, I found that very limiting. I rely a lot on body language and facial expressions in real life to get my point/feelings across so when I'm forced to not use "facial expressions" online, I feel like I get misunderstood a lot more... Maybe that's all in my head, but still.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I don't really mind them as long as they are at the END of the post. Other than that its distracting. But we cant always have our way so...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I think 'banning' them is taking things a little far, I find actual smilies to be really obnoxious and annoying, can we ban those too?
I mean, to each their own, maybe a rule or two or a suggestion to make it more clear... but to BAN?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Totally agree with some of the statements above, esp. Wallaby
There aren't enough "real" smileys (smilies? smileies? ?!?!) to cover the right emotions of the normal text ones..and if there were, it would probably be a huge annoying list to go through anyway. Usually it's easier to just type something like o_O, v.v, xD, etc...because you already know how to get it without having to search for it xD
I try to use them in moderation but like Wallaby described, it is hard to properly communicate over the internet without body language and expressions, so we find ourselves relying on very specific smileys to get the point across and keep our intentions clear without having to find the right words to explain it.
But people should be careful not to way overuse them or mix them in too much with the words. I find myself putting them at the end of a statement and oftentimes moving down to the next line, even, and I feel like that helps a lot.

But with that said, if the normal smileys were available on the quick reply I would definitely use them when they were appropriate.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ban was definitely tooooo strong a word! Sorry guys. I meant maybe restrict them to a few a post or something like has been mentioned. And yes definitely to each his own, If I am the only one who does not like it, I guess I will have to deal with it. lol Thanks for the opinions guys.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
We don't want to make the HF a horrid,restricting place now, do we?
I like the freedom we have here, and I haven't really seen anyone overdue the text-smileys lol :)

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
only reason they annoy me is because I can't decipher what most of them mean! haha

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
^ I am with you on that one .... I just use the plain old : ) works for me!

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
You guys realize that if you are using the Quick Reply box and if you have the need for a smiley that you can use the "Go Advanced" button and get to them. Also that there are more smileys then what shows if you hit the "more" button under the smileys. 8)

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Although I don't use smilies all that often on this board (in my IM convos, its a different story though) the "new" smilies actually come from texting, since we don't have emoticons on our phones. I text a lot too, and they litter my inbox.

Especially the "xD" and "0_o", I happen to think they're quite cute. But you're right, used every other sentance, they are annoying. But so are smilies.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If it's any help..
v.v is kind of like annoyance/frustration/irritation type thing
o.o is like..wide-eyed, kind of surprised/shocked (O.O is very surprised/shocked)
o_O is confused/thrown-off/mildly shocked

=D
Hahaha

1 - 20 of 52 Posts