The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mare that any time she is anywhere near other mares NOT part of her herd. She "teases" them prancing, squirts, winks, and displays as though she is in estrus. She also seems to really have the attention of our neighbor's mares all of which are breeding stock with them seemingly doing the same teasing to my mare. Today we had an incident where the neighbor's mares broke through a gate on our adjoining fence line to get to our mare. All equines were behaving till it came time to separate the herds. When trying to separate our herd ( the mare in question, another mare & gelding) and the neighbors 4 mares of various ages. The neighbor's mares were fixated on our mare in question. We and the neighbor got the two herds separated after about an hour. The neighbor has now moved his mares to a different pasture farther from our adjoining fence line with his herd of geldings now in the adjoining pasture. No issues with that setup.

Last spring and summer we had this same issue with the mare in question and the mares across the fence but it was not as bad as it seemed to be this year. This year our mare in question just would not come away from the adjoining fence line when we would herd her away or lead her away across the property to join back up with our other horses. she would say with them for a short period and then quickly be back at a lope or a run to the fence line. She just could not let it go this year. Now that the geldings are across the fence rather than the mares she seems to be ok again not ditching our herd for the fence line.

So I am wondering what could be the causes of this behavior. Our neighbor with 40 years equine experience thinks we should have her checked by the doc ( maybe some kind of infection ) Which I will be checking in with the vet, but I was just hoping to get some other thoughts on this behavior.

Our mare in question is a 22 y/o Appy that used to be a broodmare and is very well trained.

Side note she was mildly like this for the first month we had her in our herd but she no longer acts this way in our herd.

TIA for any responses. :runninghorse2:

( Photo of the mare in question. )

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like heat-y broodmare behavior to me. Lots of hormones flying around between your mare and the neighbors. My mares can act all kinds of weird if they've been separated from each other for a short while. So much drama...LOL!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts