The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
i have depression and anxiety. im on 3 different med for the depression and one for the anxiety

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't have anything as of yet, but paranoid schizophrenia runs in my family, so I have to watch for that. My grandfather had it and my uncle has it.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
OCD is my misfortune. I have had it and been going to therapy for it since I was thirteen. It sucks, but I only have it moderately.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've been diagnosed bipolar right after I got out of college. But its kinds of like a catch all, for everything they dont know what else to call it. I took medications for a while but they really didnt help much. Ive been fine for a year. I think it really has to do with your environment, friends and family, how they treat you and the support they give you.

People with mental illnesses have a highter aptitude (right work?) to get addictions, drugs, drinking, sex, gambling ect. So you really need to be careful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the thing that confuses me is that im diagnosed with both and im always trying to figure out which behaviours link with which illness :S atm Ocd drives me nuts, only just found out about the bipolar :S

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Obcessive compulsive isnt really about feelings, besides being worried about something. Its more like you can't help it, your stuck in this cycle.

Bipolar is all about emotions. Happy, sad, angry, lonely ect. There are several different kinds of bipolar disorder.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I would hate having OCD. I'm so sorry to everyone who has it. Gotta be horrible :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obcessive compulsive isnt really about feelings, besides being worried about something. Its more like you can't help it, your stuck in this cycle.

Bipolar is all about emotions. Happy, sad, angry, lonely ect. There are several different kinds of bipolar disorder.

Yeah I know that much but sometimes it feels like they merge really bad, I'll get an OCD thought and then be depressed about it and I don't know if the depression is Bipolar or just me ! x ... Why can we have positive obsessions ... :?:wink: x ... And yeah it does suck to have it but I think in some strange way it does you some good deep down, mainly because you learn with it I think x Doesn't mean anything to how much hurt it can cause though x

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Thankfully, I don't have any history of mental illness in my family(besides the fact that they are all crazy! hehe) But my boyfriend has a family history of dementia and schizophrenia, as well as chemical dependency on both sides all the way to his mother and father and older brother...

This really worries me and I must admit that it makes me hesitate even planning on a future together knowing he has a huge chance of developing all three and possibly passing it on to childres if we ever choose to procreate. I just feel like I am being responsible for myself and my possible future children...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
^^ it just goes back to that genetics vs environment arguement.

I wouldnt hesitate to think about a future with someone, I would love them all the same. If I was in the situation I would probably adopt. I love the idea of adopting when I am ready, plus it would give me excuse lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankfully, I don't have any history of mental illness in my family(besides the fact that they are all crazy! hehe) But my boyfriend has a family history of dementia and schizophrenia, as well as chemical dependency on both sides all the way to his mother and father and older brother...

This really worries me and I must admit that it makes me hesitate even planning on a future together knowing he has a huge chance of developing all three and possibly passing it on to childres if we ever choose to procreate. I just feel like I am being responsible for myself and my possible future children...

Awww that must suck ! I'm sorry to hear. I think schizophrenia can be helped though but don't know much x Sounds kind of scary ... Ohh this just makes me see how bad my OCD is lately ... what is Dementia ? any mention of new illnesses concerns me :S odd but yano x ... I hope your boy friend is ok :) X

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Jenny- its never really totally seperate, everthing intermingles like that. One causes the other and so on. I think I am stronger for what I have gone through. I can relate to people more and it gives me wisdom but if I had a choice I would choose not to be like what I was/ or am.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jenny- its never really totally seperate, everthing intermingles like that. One causes the other and so on. I think I am stronger for what I have gone through. I can relate to people more and it gives me wisdom but if I had a choice I would choose not to be like what I was/ or am.

Ohh I see, thing is I have never been as bad as I am now ... the mention of dementia just sent me on one and I'm 15 :O x ... I know what your saying, I have just generally never known how it is not to have OCD x When did you develop it ? x

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have: Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Suicidal Depression and I'm Psychotic. These have all been mentally diagnosed by my psychotherapist. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have: Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Suicidal Depression and I'm Psychotic. These have all been mentally diagnosed by my psychotherapist. :)

Geese thats awful ! What is psychotic ? ... I always worry myself about these things :S But that must be awful for you ! I find they mix and really play havock with you spesh coz im in school ... gnna try tell form tutor soon coz its starting to interfear with my school work ... and i have never been best behaved to say the least. But I find I will have an anxiety thought from ocd and be depressed about it then not care and it just scares me in the end ... how can you possibly cope ... respect lol x

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a mild case of OCD. I'll check the house doors up to 3 times a night before I go to bed. I cannot handle seeing paper that isn't perfectly straight (really sucks in school). I cannot have towels around me or I get nervous and can't focus. Overhead lights are never on in our house because they annoy me to the point that seeing them on will make me feel like crying. And my clothes have to be evenly "tight". If one sleeve is tighter than the other I can't wear it. There's so many other things that "bother" me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts