The Horse Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have a licker too! He will lick ANYTHING. Tires, the swing set, the barn wall, people, feed tubs, the side of the water tub, trees, the ground, you name it.

Poor ****** had to be tied down while we pulled splinters of wood out of his tongue when he got ahold of a sheet of that splintery pressboard and licked it down to nothing.
Ok, mine's not that bad. He generally doesn't lick things unless they are attached to people. He's also a rope chewer though.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have a weird one. We call her the "derpy moose". If you feed her anything she doesn't like (ie: anything other than hay or BP) she will humor you and put it in her mouth, then we she thinks you are not looking she will spit it out and try to "hide" the item. If she is caught in the act, or if someone other than me feeds her something she deems not edible, she looks at me and sticks her tongue out/makes odd faces and gives me looks of blame.

If you feed her an apple she will hold it in her front teeth for a good couple minutes before biting it in half, then slowly picking at the rest.

She also likes to roll in her poop, immediately after pooping. Not as frequent as years ago, but when she was a baby 4-5, every poop she took she had to roll in it after.

She will lift her leg if her belly is scratched. Okay, not that weird, but I haven't personally met another horse that does it. Seen it, but the only horse I "know" that does it is her.

She used to fling her grain bucket in a 360 motion after every.single.bite.

She licks everythings. Jackets are her favorite.

If tied outside her stall while I clean, or in the wash bay, and I'm cleaning/not paying attention to her, she will do everything in her power to get my attention. This generally involves picking things up and throwing them every which way. Shampoo bottles, hoof picks, fly masks, other horse's blankets hanging outside stalls. If it's near her, she will throw it.

She likes to lick the hotwire, but usually only if someone is leading her. Usually this happens when she's put outside in the morning and whoever is handling her stops to take halter off at the gate, she will stretch her neck just to lick the hotwire. Barn staff have now learned to take her to the middle of the paddock before stopping to take her halter off, lol.

She has many other odd or weird habits, more will come to me.:lol:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I've also got one who will not eat carrots and apples. Spits them out. Makes the kids at the barn sad when they bring their bags of carrots out to feed everyone, and he throws it back at them. lol. Eats cookies though.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Trouble grew out of this, but when he was small he would absolutely not eat treats. I even made him special apple slices dipped in molasses and rolled in sweet feed, and he would roll them around, look at me and step on it. Every darn time.

Now, when an apple falls from the tree in the pasture he will run full tilt to go get it. He's charged deer out of the pasture when they were eating his apples too, and will stand under the tree if you shake it and let them hit him in the head. He just gets incredibly happy when you shake a branch and the apples rain down, he will close his eyes, lift his head and wait for them all to fall :lol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Oh one that I forgot about until this morning when it happened is my Mini crosses her front legs when she pees.

So I have attached an awkward photo... felt weird taking it, but I've never seen another horse do that haha

She also does that weird "Cat Stretch" that someone else mentioned, with front legs stretched out and butt in the air.

And like some of you others it seems, my QH still will rarely take a treat from me. He does like apples though, but will take the teeniest tiniest bites of it. It takes him forever to finish one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of ours does the cat stretching with her front end down and rump up, well she used to. She actually had a case of laminitis and isn't doing it after doctoring her for it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure if this is really weird or not, but I am riding a QH mare who will stretch out her neck and lips for the bit when bridling. I have never seen a horse actually want to pick up the bit like she does, not that I'm complaining, lol! I asked her trainer how he got her to do that and he just told me she does it on her own, he never taught her specifically. Kinda cool =)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've also got one who will not eat carrots and apples. Spits them out. Makes the kids at the barn sad when they bring their bags of carrots out to feed everyone, and he throws it back at them. lol. Eats cookies though.
My mare at home is like this. Pickiest eater I've ever seen. No cookies, no apples, no bananas, honey, molasses, mints, nothing! The only two things she loves and will eat are carrots and crushed grain. I have to mix carrots into her beet pulp to get her to eat that and even then some days she gets all disgusted and pushes the bucket over and just eats the carrots.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My mare is quite finicky about food. No apples, carrots, or most cookies. She will only eat one flavor (apple cinnamon) of one brand of cookies. They also have flavors like apple, green apple, carrot, peppermint, molasses, etc. Nope. It's got to be apple cinnamon. Apparently, though, she will eat just about any treat a child (under the age of 12) gives her with the utmost delicacy. Because obviously us adults are too stupid to be trusted when picking good treats.

Oh, and when ever she is fed powdered supplements (biotin, magnesium) it has to be done just right. If you feed it dry she will blow on it and make the powder fly up in her face and then blame me when some gets in her eye. She will keep doing it until all the powder is gone. But if you just dump water on top and mix it in she will only eat off the top layer of food because apparently the powder sinks to the bottom. If I want her to eat the supplements I have to wet down the feed to a soggy mush and then sprinkle the power over top so it dries in a crust over top. Of course then she throws a fit because the powder crust over top tastes funny and she can't eat the rest of the food without eating the powder AND her food is soggy. Yes, her life is just that rough. She eats it though because I have a strict rule that anyone who purposefully dumps their food in protest can just go hungry. She tried to call my bluff on that one and ended up eating her food out of the dirt three meals in a row. :twisted: She does still take the bowl when she is done and bash it against the wall and then poo on it because it's clearly the bowl's fault that her breakfast was soggy and tasted funny.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The same lesson horse that licks (mentioned above) also pushes his butt up against the wall when he poops. If he's in the cross ties and has to poop, he'll swing his butt over to the wall and push up against it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts