The Horse Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1620 Posts

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
Thanks for the info! California Grays are a hoot. The one that was paper trained and lived in the house was a CG. Pretty good guard chicken/babysitter too.
I've had some Cochins like that. Had a black one that used to like to ride in the truck in front of the AC vent in summer when I would go to town to fill up on tractor fuel. She'd sit in the middle of the bench seat and just ......purr and coo.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
No additional photos but our girls went to 5 a day Friday and Saturday. Sunday? TEN. Holy SCHMOKES!

·
Registered
999 Posts
We may be getting chicks tomorrow if the feed store has them. We'll probably get 8 Rhode Island Reds since that's all they have rn. I've had good experiences with those chickens. they're good layers and they're hardy.

But anyhow, I spend the last hour rigging up a brooder to keep them in till they start to feather out (and Dad fixes the door on the coop). They'll be staying in a tub in the garage till then. If we do end up getting some, I'll get some pictures. Chicks are the cutest.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well, I've made a liar out of myself and didn't post pictures. I've attached some pictures but idk how they'll show up in the post. They're bigger now.

On another note, one of them isn't doing so well. I've separated her from the rest of them so she doesn't get beat up. She's lethargic and sits by herself all fluffed up. She didn't come up into the coop out of the run with the rest. :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Well, I've made a liar out of myself and didn't post pictures. I've attached some pictures but idk how they'll show up in the post. They're bigger now.

On another note, one of them isn't doing so well. I've separated her from the rest of them so she doesn't get beat up. She's lethargic and sits by herself all fluffed up. She didn't come up into the coop out of the run with the rest. :-(
Quarantine in cat crate, extra heat, antibiotic drops in her water, offer her cooked egg yolk.

In my experience once chickens show signs of illness they don't make it, more often than not. Were these chicks vaccinated for Marek's before you got them?

·
Registered
999 Posts
No idea, I could call the feed store where I got them and ask. I know they ordered the chicks from somewhere and didn't get them locally so I assume they've been vaxxed, but I'm not sure.

Mom only wanted to get 6 but I said we should get a couple more just in case something like this happens. She is quarantined at the moment with food and water and a heat lamp. All I have are probiotics for her water and I'll add a little of that tonight. She seems like she's a bit better this morning and was eating and drinking, which is a good sign.

In other news, there was a nasty little hawk watching the chicks from the tree above their run. There's no way he can get them and if he tried our livestock dog would give him a run for his money. He's only a coopers hawk and isn't big enough to bother adult chickens, but he'd eat the little chicks if he could get to them. He's a pretty bird, but he'd batter stay away from my babies! :x :chicken:

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
My daughter tried to buy me some baby chicks yesterday. It is always so tempting. I have a problem though. I get attached. I have 9 hens. One is age 9. Three are only 8. The remaining five are 7 years old. I know that most people would have fried them up at age 3, but I just can't. Instead I give them treats and talk to them. So you might imagine, I haven't had much egg production lately.

Actually I believe that we went a year without an egg. Finally, one of the girls laid a beautiful, extra large egg.

Layer pellets are around $10 a bag. They eat 2 bags a month. That puts the cost, not counting labor, of this beautiful egg at $240.

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    63.2 KB Views: 7

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
What can I say, Celeste — money well spent???😂

Btw, I keep my hens for as long as they want to live, as well. My oldest hen so far was about 13 when she passed on.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
It has been fairly rare that my hens live to a ripe old age. Too many random predators and sudden illnesses -- I've read that hens die of ovarian tumors pretty often.

At present though, I have eight one-year old hens who are laying five or six eggs daily. Five Dominiques and a Buckeye, Speckled Sussex, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. They are free-rangers during the day, mostly being useful out in the horse pasture spreading the manure piles, picking up fly eggs and ticks, and aerating the composting-manure bins. They also poop randomly in the garage, chase off the wild birds so they can eat up all the spilled seed under the bird feeder (we are fencing them off from the front yard ASAP as I want to start renovating that into native pollinator/bird habitat), and would wreak havoc in my barn and hay loft if not excluded. Mixed bag!

I got heritage breed chicks last spring and so far they have worked out very well for us. All of the hens are super tame and friendly by nature, and they wintered in New England with aplomb.

Probably the year after next I will raise another batch of chicks, so I will have some young layers coming up.

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Update on sick chick: she isn't really acting sick, just weak. She still scratches around and eats and drinks just fine, maybe I overestimated the problem. She does have trouble jumping up on things and landing. She just kind of flops on the ground. She's otherwise healthy though. Still, something isn't right. Maybe she's just the runt of the group and has chicken depression? Idk.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
@ChieTheRider, in normal times I would suggest going to the pharmacy and getting children’s liquid vitamins: poli-vi-sol with no iron. A few drops of that on a beak morning and evening really turns them around fast. If you don’t have that, save-a-chick vitamin packets or even honey water could help. Can’t recall if you’ve already tried that. Hope she perks up!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'll try that. The local stores may be out but I have to go today and see if I can find eggs. Not everything is closed just yet.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
If you can't find any, I think I probably have some packets of save-a-chick in my first aid kit that I could send you via regular mail. Don't know if it will get to you fast enough, but it's small enough I could put it in a regular envelope. If you need it, feel free to PM me your mailing address and I'll send it out tomorrow!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I found some poli-vi-sol at the store and gave her a couple drops this morning. She seems a bit better now that she's by herself. I moved her into the garage because the brooder (just a plastic tub) was taking up too much room in the coop. She was chasing a moth that got in there earlier and she's eating and drinking- we'll see if the vitamins bring her around. She seemed a little underweight to me. She's smaller than most of the others. She was probably on low end of the totem pole and was picked on. Not sure if that's why she's "sick" or vice versa.

I'm maybe gonna name this one. Not sure what though, it's been a while since we named the chickens.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
For all the chicken lovers, a bit of silly comic relief- this has been circulating the chicken groups on FB. :rofl: I truly can't stop laughing.

As for my girls, they got spoiled with a week of spring melt and clear ground...

...but then we had a foot of snow earlier this week and they're a little put out by it. Hoping it's melted again by the weekend.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It's basically summer already down here. I wish we had snow. It's hot and muggy. I'm glad our coop has good ventilation or our chickens would bake. Yuk!

Here's some pictures of the little chick who's unofficially been dubbed "Squeaks". Not a very good name but it kind of stuck. She's so teeny compared to the rest of them, I think it's because she got sick. The others don't seem to bother her though. The vitamins really helped her and she's just as lively as the others now, just smaller. (She's still cute, the others are at that weirdo stage lol)

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
@Chevaux she's probably not bantam because she was the exact same size as the other chicks until she started acting ill. They also weren't sold as bantams so...unless there's some weird thing going on, she's just a normal chick who's growing slower or something.

It's odd though, the others are probably more than twice her weight. That's what I worry about, I wish she'd beef up. I need some chicken wormer. Parasites are a possibility.

1601 - 1620 of 1620 Posts