The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing some research and I am thinking about getting an ogilvy half pad. I use a thin foam wither pad on my TB but with him, the more padding the better. Before I spend 225$ on a pad I just wanted some opinions on the pad itself. Thanks

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
My BO just got one for her new horse. She had not heard of them but liked the looks of it.

I have heard of them but never saw one before, and really like the looks of it, too.

Will be nice to tell her of others experience, so I'm following this thread.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've never had one, but I looked at the website and it appears they're made of memory foam.

I'm not sure of the use as a saddle pad, but I know with human usage memory foam is often considered the "cheaper" version of latex. One of the major downsides is that it holds a lot of heat, which is the opposite really of what you want in a saddle pad.

If they're pricy I'd probably consider looking around at other brands of memory foam pads, you may very well get a similar product cheaper.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the Ecogold Triple Protection, slightly different than what clwhizy linked, I have this one https://ecogold.ca/shop/memory-foam-triple-protection-half-pad-dressage/

I had to decide between ogilvy and ecogold too, and I'm really happy with my choice, but keep in mind I have never used an ogilvy. When people hate on memory foam pads, I'm pretty sure they haven't used one like the triple protection before. It's really firm, it's not made of the same cheap memory foam as your pillow would be; I can't squish it with my fingers. I'm not sure the whole 'smashing m&ms with a hammer" demonstration sold it for me, that's pretty gimicky, but if you shove your fist into it, you can feel on the other side that it distributes the pressure well. I've also heard people say that memory foam gets hard when it's cold out- this one does not have that problem. I frequently wear cheap Nike flipflops to the barn (just in my car so it stays clean) that have foam padding, and that foam definitely does get rock hard when it's cold out; but I have never had problems with the ecogold changing texture.

One thing to consider, it does add about maybe a quarter inch to your saddle fit, so if your saddle is too tight it will make that worse. I've heard that the ogilvy is thicker, so that might be more of an issue with that. It fits well with my saddle, and my horse really seems to like it. I have not washed mine yet; I always keep it between the saddle and a cotton pad. I also do not have an opinion on whether or not it makes my horse "too hot"; it seems more breathable than something like a thinline, and honestly he's a big sweater, he sweats whenever anything touches him, so it seems about average. I was also a little surprised when I got it, the pad looks like it's maybe suede on the top, and fleecy on the horse side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input so far, I'm still doing some research. I talked more with my trainer today and I even went to dover to physically hold an ogilvy and see it up close. Of course I fell in love with it... There may be an ogilvy in my future

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.