The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this is no joke!!! my boyfriend finds it funny but i dont!!! can a horse get ill from eating chocolate??!! :shock: my lil niece was eating chocolate and stood stroking my horse while i groomed her and next thing i knew it she screamed WOW cancionera likes chocolate!!!!! lmao i know its funny but im scared at the same time, chocolate has a lot of sugar in it!!! :?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,825 Posts
I would not say it is good for your horse but I highly doubt it will hurt your horse.

I have a friend who feeds her horse (and mine) peanut butter cups on a daily basis. Probably not the best treat but there have been no ill affects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
my friends horse gets the occasional piece of chocolate and it hasn't done him any harm yet, its definitely not something to give him regularly though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
omg!! well ive just searched on google and it says given in very minimal amounts it cannot hurt a horse but theres a certain chemical in chocolate that is poisonous to horses rabbits dogs cats etc and can cause seizures and even heart attacks!!!!! i know she didnt eat a very big amount i just went into a panick there hahah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Cheyaut is right, and your horse would have to eat a LOT of chocolate to get sick. It is dose dependant (like all toxins) and the amount to harm a dog of say, 50 lbs would be like a 2 lb box of dark chocolate truffles (because it is actually cocoa that has the compound). I know there are species differences and don't have my toxicology notes on me but I doubt that a little taste of chocolate is going to make your girl ill. In the future though, tell your niece to stick with carrots!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
I often buy day old donuts from the local tim hortons and feed them to our 3 horses, They love them and they are loaded with sugar. I also feed french fries and breath mints.
It will not harm him. Against warnings from others I also fed bits of chocolate bars to my dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
I was always told its the dark chocolate you have to stay away from for animals that can be toxic..its the cocoa or something they use..white chocolate and milk chocolate are considered different. I found out this the hard way when I came home to find my 2 dogs had consumed a whole bag of milk chocolate bells wrapped in foil out of someones christmas gift bag..I had a big meltdown until I got a hold of the vet. They pooped red, green, and silver foil for 2 days:) I dont think it would hurt it will hurt them since most kids candy is milk chocolate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
If my chocolate (really) lab can eat 4 oreo cookies and have no ill effects, I imagine a horse will be okay with a small amount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,968 Posts
Before anyone gets the wrong idea, milk chocolate IS still lethal to dogs. It just takes a higher amount than dark chocolate, but it IS STILL LETHAL. You can read about it here: Chocolate Toxicity and Pets - What Makes Chocolate Toxic To Dogs - Learn about Chocolate Toxcity and Pets

Just had to mention, CheyAut, I love the last line in that article:

Keep your pet's best interests at heart...chocolate wasn't meant to be shared anyway (grin).
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top