The Horse Forum banner
201 - 205 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
We tell visitors (and everyone) that all the horses only get sliced apples, not whole ones. :) The pear was sliced as well. Jasper seems to be a traditionalist: apples and carrots. He didn't like watermelon, didn't like pears. I'm allergic to bananas, so I never have them on hand. (My dad eats them, but he buys exactly enough to have one a day for a week - no more, no less). I think he would've liked the popsicle if I'd plopped a piece in his water. My trainer said some folks will make them popsicles out of fruit & water in a jello mold, then put it in their water bucket. Jasper, who barely deigns to drink simple bucket water, would probably think I was nuts. I bet Romeo (who love LOVES drinking DIRECTLY from the hose) would probably think it was pretty good.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Here is a funny food treat story. My parents had a beef cattle farm in Melbourne, Florida, and on the side they had citrus trees too. When my niece was 6 years old, she flew to Florida to spend a month with her grandparents on the farm.

Soon after she arrived, my mom was showing her the farm. She stopped at a tangerine tree, picked a couple and let my niece reach through the fence and feed them to the cows. Our cows and horses love oranges and tangerines.

A few days later, my niece told my mom she had fed more tangerines to the cows. My mom thought that was cute until she went outside and discovered my niece had picked every single tangerine off every tree and fed them to the cows.

A few months later, each tangerine tree had about 6 or 8 absolutely HUGE tangerines up too high for my niece to reach.
Aha! The amateur pruning technique! :lol: That's delightful. I didn't realize they could eat oranges! I was worried about the seeds.

·
Registered
10,768 Posts
Jasper sez “WHAT?!?!” “Surely you don’t want me for something else! I am hungry and thirsty!”

He is such an expressive doll face, lollol🥰🥰

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Jasper sez “WHAT?!?!” “Surely you don’t want me for something else! I am hungry and thirsty!”

He is such an expressive doll face, lollol🥰🥰
"This water doesn't have nearly enough slime and backwash in it."

See what I mean? Gears turning in there, full of opinions. And many more years of experience than I have, for sure.

201 - 205 of 205 Posts